Confused. Simple home wireless setup.

I would like to set up a home wireless network. What confuses me are the sheer multitude of tutorials that address exotic issues I am not at all confronted with and the time required to scan through the contents. So I would be grateful if someone could point me to some simple, concise tutorials to get started (or maybe provide some installation hints). :=)

I would like to replace my Ethernet network with a wireless configuration. The situation is very simple:

2 machines (PC1, PC2, both XP Home Ed) and a wireless router (ETech). The wireless network SSID, named "WLNK", is encrypted with a WEP key. Network configuration: peer to peer. Currently, each machine is able to access the web independently via the router.

The router's LAN configuration is configured to support the following dynamic addresses :

192.168.1.2 PC1 #Laptop 192.168.1.3 PC2 #Desktop

These addresses are also included in each machine local "hosts" file as well (req'd ??). Both machines can be pinged w/o problems via their IP address or host names.

Questions:

1. How do I set up the network so that each machine recognizes each other? For instance, PC1 has a local web server (Abyss). I would like PC2 to access a web site on PC1 for ex. via http://PC1//Site1 .

1. Do I have to run the Network manager to configure the set-up or is the network manager smart enough to figure out how to network both machines once they are running (both have the same SSID)? (Does not seem to work, though.)

I did this years ago for cable networking, but forgot how I went about this.

TIA for providing me with some simple references.

Reply to
msch-prv
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Reply to
curly Bill

m>

formatting link

Reply to
curly Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.