Configuring a wireless laptop and router

I have successfully managed to connect my desktop pc to a wireless router [LinkSys WRT54G] using mixed mode [B&G] with MAC filtering and WEP enabled.

However, my laptop [also running mixed mode B&G] does not see the desktop PC, but can ping the router. The desktop PC shows an icon in the HOME workgroup for the laptop but does not allow access, stating 'not accessible'. I have shared out folders on the laptop and been thru the Network Setup Wizard to ensure that File and Print Sharing is turned on but still no luck.

The laptop does not show an icon for the desktop pc in the home workgroup, and strangely, although it shows an icon for itself, will not allow access. Prior to installing the router, all worked fine and the two machines would happily communicate.

I've turned off MAC filtering, WEP, rebuilt the network from ground up, am using the same username and password on both machines, and DHCP, turned off the firewall on both machines, ensured the router is handing out sufficient IP addresses, where am i going wrong???

Both machines are using XP professional - clearly the problem is either with the router or laptop - but as I can't see shared folders from the laptop under it's own machine name in the HOME workgroup, I'm guessing this is where to start!

Any experts out there????

Reply to
nonymouse
Loading thread data ...

Make sure that there isn't a setting in your wireless router preventing wireless client-to-client communications.

Reply to
NetSteady

Try this networking diagnostic page:

formatting link
Q

Reply to
Quaoar

Thanks for the advice, but I'm a bit of a muppet when it comes to networks. What kind of setting might prevent wireless client to client communications??

Reply to
nonymouse

It's MSHOME not HOME. The workgroup name should be the same on both machines. To make it easy, you should have identical user accounts on both machines, with identical passwords.

Just for fun, you might wanna try doing the networking thing without the wireless. Just plug your computahs into the router using CAT5 ethernet cables. Turn off the wireless devices. See if it screws up the same way.

The WRT54G has a feature called "AP Isolation" located on the Wireless -> Advanced Settings page. It really should be call "client isolation" as it will prevent client to client connections. Disable this feature.

It's also possible that you don't have file sharing setup correctly. First, make sure the Windoze firewall isn't getting in the way. Control Panel -> Windoze Firewall -> Exceptions Be sure that File and Print Sharing is checked as an exception. (I'm assuming you've installed XP SP2).

Here's the basic instructions for setting up Windoze file sharing.

formatting link
that you've done it correctly.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The WRT54G has a feature called "AP Isolation" located on the Wireless -> Advanced Settings page. It really should be call "client isolation" as it will prevent client to client connections. Disable this feature.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Many thanks. Have disabled the AP isolation feature, have SP2 installed and have turned off the firewall just to make sure that wasn't the problem. Both machines are running XP Pro and have simple file sharing turned on. Have checked out the article you pointed me to, but still no luck

Reply to
nonymouse

Keep going. Drag both the machines to the router and use an ethernet cable to make the connection. That will eliminate the wireless from the puzzle. Try again.

Disable BOTH windows firewalls for now. Make sure you have the same Workgroup name. Identical account names and passwords on both machiens. Can you ping each other? Can you see directories with: Start -> Run -> cmd \\\\machine_name or \\\\192.168.1.123 (IP address of other machine) These should show the available shares.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.