Configure my Wireless Notebook for free Hotspots?

Nope just start a new profile for that location if you dont want to loose your existing one for home. Just do a search for wireless devices and select the hotspot your at when you see it. Login if it lets you.

Reply to
Cox News
Loading thread data ...

Do a search for wireless devices with what?

Reply to
tdubya

I have a Netgear WG511 wireless PC card on my Notebook that I use in my home to connect to my wireless network. I am using all the security features available. I am going to be traveling some in the near future and would like to be able to connect to the Hotspots in various RV parks that I will be staying in. Is there something that I need to configure different that what I have set up for connecting at home? In other words, will I "automatically" connect when I get a signal from the provided Hotspot? Thanks, John

Reply to
L'l John

Right click the Network Places icon and select properties then right click your wireless connection and select properties again Then open the Wireless Networks tab Then select View Wireless Networks Or even you might have gotten some software with your network card There should be some where that you can view wireless conections.

Reply to
Cox News

Would I find the devices that you mention in the "Wireless Network Connection" dialogue box located in Windows Network Connections? If not, where? Also, how do I start a new profile? Sorry- Newby here! Thanks,

Reply to
L'l John

Yep follow me on lmy last post.

Reply to
Cox News

Reply to
L'l John

I have the WG511 on WinXP-SP2. You don't say what OS or client utility you are using. Windows XP - SP2 makes most cards work in very similar fashion. There is a wireless icon in the systray. Clicking on that when you are in range of a public hotspot will show it in a listing of available networks, but it won't automatically connect to an unsecured network unless you've configured a "preferred network" for it (some people refer to these as profiles, a common term in older software, but I don't see that in the WinXP screens).

Reply to
dold

Windows XP-SP2 doesn't like to connect to unencrypted hotspots. That seems like a good idea for home networks, maybe, to make up for the lack of the security by default in home routers. But it ignores the fact that public hotspots are all unencrypted to make them easier to find. WindowsXP-SP2 seems to find and connect to preferred networks very quickly as they come into range.

One at a time, which you have apparently discovered. If you are connecting to something like T-Mobile at Starbucks, or various "linksys" defaults, you need to create the preferred network for them the first time, but you can autoconnect to others that have the same SSID. If you are connecting to a WAP and you know you are in range, like sitting in a coffee shop, WinXP-SP2 seems to be a fine tool without any addons.

No. Nothing against the Netgear utility. I just don't use it. The NetGear utility works on Windows XP. It may or may not be reluctant to connect to unencrypted hotspots. It does have a "rescan" button, which makes me think that it might be worse that WindowsXP-SP2 at finding new hotspots.

I have also used a tool from

formatting link
which, I think, connects to public hotspots without the reticence against unencrypted hotspots.

This would be my preferred tool if you didn't have SP2. It might be a little better at finding an unknown free hotspot, and it does contain a directory of some hotspots.

Reply to
dold

What is the SP2?

Bill L

Reply to
Bill Lederer

(Service PK 2) for Windows XP

snipped-for-privacy@thotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
L'l John

Service Pack 2 for Windows XP made substantial changes in the Wireless management area. It is probably better, but certainly different. If you visit Microsoft Windows Update on a regular basis, you already have SP2.

formatting link
has it on the right side.

If you right-click on "My Computer", properties will show Service Pack 2.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.