Conecting a Laptop to Linksys wag54g

I have a desktop connected to the Internet through a linksys wag54g ADSL gateway. No problem there everything works great.

I also have a a laptop with a wireless notebook adapter cabel and wireless 802.11g 2.4 ghz OFDM. I get an excellent signal all the time

The laptop is able to connect to the Linksys but is not able to access the Internet. it some times disconnects after a few minuets, or I get a message saying limited connectivity. looking at my gateways setup shows the laptop connected to the gateway.

Can some one please explain in simple terms why I'm having this connection problem, can some one point me to a web site with simple setup instructions, I tried goggle but cannot locate anything to help.

Brian

Reply to
Brian
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Sounds like you've got some serious wireless interference (e.g., cordless phone on the same band, Bluetooth). Try different primary wireless channels (1, 6, 11) in the wireless gateway. And/or try to find and eliminate the source of the wireless interference.

Reply to
John Navas

Yep I tried that but I think the signal and quality are ok, There are no other wireless devices interfering as far as I can tell.

Reply to
Brian

Do you have any Firewall software installed on the laptop such as Norton Internet Security? If so you may need to configure it properly to be able to access the internet. Sometimes it automatically sets itself up and sometimes it doesn't.

If you do have Norton open up the firewall settings normally by double clicking the icon on the bottom right hand corner by the clock then go into firewall, configure, networking then run the wizard to recognise the network and allow connections.

HTH

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.