Computers Infected By 'DNS Changer' Trojan Malware Will Lose Internet Access Monday

formatting link
>>

Maybe you can convince your boss that the activation period is wrong, and it will happen next Saturday so you can collect again. :)

Reply to
Big Steel
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
>>

Part of why the Y2K problem wasn't so bad is that a lot of people, including me, worked hard to fix a lot of systems beforehand.

They ended up getting scorn instead of credit for their work.

I guess that's better than a world-wide collapse :-)

Reply to
Gene E. Bloch

formatting link
>>>

Exactly...

Reply to
glee

formatting link
>>>

I think that was part of the reason I got that nice bonus for cutting my vacation short. I put in many a night before 1/1/2000 getting all the systems updated with the necessary Windows updates, etc., etc. The main reason they had me come in on the first was to make sure it *wasn't* a company-wide collapse, that everything was still running as it should. But hey, if they want to give me extra time and money for it, who am I to refuse? Besides, I felt I earned it anyhow. They were a good company to work for; had a real "family" atmosphere throughout the organization.

Reply to
SC Tom

formatting link
>>>

I'm retired now, and they closed their local plant about a year ago, but with the popularity of Facebook and some of the other communities among the engineers and office personnel, I sure I could have. They wouldn't have needed to know that it was probably all good anyhow with the protection we ran ;-)

Reply to
SC Tom

formatting link
>>>>

I just got back from the grocery store, I still have Internet access, and it's a big fizzle on doomsday so far. :)

Reply to
Big Steel

formatting link
>>>>>

The likelihood of any person being infected by this malware is less than

1/2 of 1 percent.
Reply to
BobbyM

On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 15:54:00 -0700, "Gene E. Bloch" wrote in article ...

formatting link
>>>

I hear ya, I was also part of the effort to make sure it was a non- event. Next time, I say we let disaster happen, and become heroes by saving the world...

Never mind, we'll still get scorn because we didn't prevent it.

Sigh. Don't see how we can win...

Reply to
Zaphod Beeblebrox

One in 200? I should hope it's *considerably* less than that. Chris

Reply to
Chris Davies

snip

Why is this a surprise? Look at the number of people who argue against vaccinations because "the disease they prevent doesn't occur that often".

Reply to
Barry Schwarz

snip

Why is this a surprise? Look at the number of people who argue against vaccinations because "the disease they prevent doesn't occur that often".

Reply to
Angel

formatting link
>>>>

Yeah. We can't even hope for a plain old zero-sum game :-)

Reply to
Gene E. Bloch

Sorry, left out a decimal point. It should be less than 1 in 2000. This is based on old data, assuming there are 1 billion computers in the world & using the estimated number of computers that were infected in Nov 11. There are significantly more computers than that now & supposedly 100,000 or so fewer infected computers, which would reduce the odds even further that any particular computer is infected.

Reply to
BobbyM

formatting link
>

Yes.

just will not do name to IP address resolution. No. They will be sent to probably wrong IP!

Reply to
meagain

formatting link
>>

No. The DNS Servers were shutdown thus the DNS calls will go unanswered.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

formatting link

Ya!! It's a complete meltdown all over the world and they got it right once again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now let us get back to some serious work!

Reply to
Good Guy

So when were you born?

Reply to
Good Guy

At least one of the big ISPs supposedly [a] will be redirecting those DNS requests to its own servers.

Which in some ways raises more concerns than it solves...

[a] news reports, for what they're worth, about AT&T
Reply to
danny burstein

Not true. The "FBI's DNS Servers" were shutdown. The rest of the world's DNS servers continue to work AOK.

A decent ISP response, but basicly unneeded except for customer satisfaction.

Such as?

Reply to
meagain

FYI, David H. Lipman is quite knowledgeable in this area and is well aware that it was the FBI-run DNS servers that were being shut down. I think if you review the context of David's statement above, you'll clearly see that.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.