Computers Infected By 'DNS Changer' Trojan Malware Will Lose Internet Access Monday

Computers Infected By 'DNS Changer' Trojan Malware Will Lose Internet Access Monday ...

formatting link

Reply to
Adam
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Internet blackout for thousands coming Monday ...

formatting link

Reply to
Adam

formatting link

We can only hope that those stupid enough to get or rather allow their computer to remain infected after all the notifications are down for at least a week.

With luck those that remain online will have sense enough to ignore the phone calls asking for help from those stupid twits... ;)

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

I have a feeling there will be 0 posts to google groups Monday... :)

Reply to
Evan Platt

formatting link
They will STILL access the Internet just will not do name to IP address resolution.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 12:12:56 -0400, GlowingBlueMist wrote (in article ):

Where's the damn 'like' button here... :)

Reply to
Joe from NY

"Evan Platt" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

LOL!

Reply to
glee

formatting link
>

Oh, that's harsh! There's such thing as internet withdrawal, ya know. :-)

Reply to
Adam

Nope. People like me will more than happily rescue the clueless, for a price. If it weren't for malware, spyware, phishing, buggy apps, buggy operating systems, defective hardware, and FUD, I would be out of business[1]. If I were unethical, unscrupulous, evil, dastardly, greedy, etc, I would probably write malware for distribution. Unfortunately, I'm a lousy programmer, so that's not going to make me wealthy.

Maybe I should write a book... "The Zen of Computer Repair, or how I learned to deal with computah users and still remain sane".

Good idea. I don't need any competition.

Every time there's media attention to a virus set to explode on some specific date, my phone rings. My purpose in fixing computahs is to keep the phone from ringing. If someone calls, it's often about something that I did wrong or missed. I don't like phone calls.

Before the day of impending doom, my email is filled with customers asking "Do I have the DNS Changer trojan"? On Monday, I expect to get calls such as "My computer won't turn on. Is it the DNS Redirector trojan"? Eventually, they remember to flip the switch on the power strip or UPS. It's dumb, but I like the easy stuff.

[1] Company motto: If this stuff worked, you wouldn't need me.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Per Jeff Liebermann:

Which utility for connecting to the user's desktop do you favor?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

formatting link
Read Sam Hill's reply in the subthread. It is both correct and clever.

The DNS redirection is occurring at a server which belongs to the FBI, and which the FBI is about to repurpose.

Once that happens, any flawed computers will no longer get redirected to that server, and their misdirected addresses won't be fixed any more.

This is happening out in the cloud, not in your computer.

Reply to
Gene E. Bloch

TeamViewer:

Windoze, Mac, Linux, iphone, iPad, and Droid versions. Free for non-commercial use. $749 for a biz license.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
[snnnip]

And, of course, what happens if the folk are using a VOIP system that hooks up through their computer? Does this mean they can't call for help to get their phone working?

Reply to
danny burstein

Good, that will free up the Internet for the rest of us!

Reply to
Nightbreaker

IFF they had been infected by the DNSChanger trojan and the DNS server table had not been corrected then if they need DNS Services then there may be service interruption. However if the VoIP device has hard coded addresses, or they were never infected, no.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Absolutely agree.... TeamViewer.

Reply to
glee

I'll add my vote for TeamViewer to yours.

Reply to
Ken Blake

formatting link

Monday will come and pass. It's just another doomsday that will not amount to much.

Reply to
Big Steel

And mine. I've used it (from this XP netbook) to sort out friends on XP, Vista, and 7. (The XP and 7 users are blind, to boot.)

Reply to
J. P. Gilliver (John)

formatting link
>

Kinda like the Y2K scare; my boss made me come back early from vacation for that one. But that was all right- I got triple time for eight hours, plus two extra vacation days for that one :-)

Reply to
SC Tom

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.