Competing wireless networks and browser wars

Ok, not a techie or anything so please be kind.

I've got a 4 port BEFW11S4 LinkSys wireless router and LinkSys Wireless-B PCI Adapter. The router is hooked up to the D-Link DSL modem.

The setup works well unsecured, never loose connection. The rub is if I enable WEP, disable broadcasting of the SSID and set a network key on both the adapter and router I can surf for 30 minutes, but eventually I loose connectivity. The loss is usually marked by a browser event in the XP event log.

The browser has forced an election on network \\Device\\NetBT_Tcpip_{8F9D3BB2-8EB8-4F51-8CF5-0FDC5DBA153C} because a master browser was stopped.

When the network goes offline, the adapter re-discovers my network as well as another one with a very weak signal. It is a secured network as per discovery. If I do a "repair" on the wireless network, it seems to pick up my network and the other network disappears. Eventually Mr X's network reappears when I loose connectivity.

I have toggled channels on the router, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Anyone every come across a scenario like this?

Reply to
frk
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.