comparing two routers

I've been using a ZyXel P-330W for ?: a couple of years or so. I recently got a freebie Linksys BEFW11S4 that I plan to use in our second home this Summer. I tried comparing the specs and didn't see any difference, but I don't understand the real geeky stuff. Is there any real difference between these two routers?

Reply to
William Andersen
Loading thread data ...

Have you looked at the specs on their web sites?

Reply to
CamachoMan

It's a piece of shit, get rid of it. That and it's only 802.11b, the much slower data rate.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Yes.

Reply to
William Andersen

Yes ones G and he the Linksys is B only, much slower as the web site told you.

Reply to
pen

Hi,

Your Linksys BEFW11S4 is an old 802.11b-only router that has a lot of known issues. It also only supports WEP, which isn't secure.

If it weren't for all the known issues (

formatting link
), it isn't even worth it to try to extend it's life by running it as only a wired router.

Reply to
Eric

Thanks for the replies. I don't know what the 11b and 11g mean but evidently b is slower...

Reply to
William Andersen

I use that router, and it also supports WPA. The router should work fine in a second home unless the OP wants to do lots of local file transfers across his network. For Internet use, the router should be fine.

Reply to
Gordon

Reply to
William Andersen

Follow up: I'm at our second home and using the ancient Linksys without any problems. I sat it on my PC desk on the second floor, it's about 10' away from a window with a view of my shop which is 90' away. Both structures are wood' the shop isn't insulated, I don't know about the house (it's very old and we don't know much about the construction and updates). I can surf the net and check email from the shop with no problems. Set up was mostly automatic but I never saw an option for establishing a passwrod to gain access. I'll have to set aside some time to go through the User Guide I downloaded and figure out how to do that.

Reply to
William Andersen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.