Community Wireless Network Setup and Planning -any suggestions or resources

A group is looking to set up a community wireless network in a semi rural area. Coverage would be around 5 square miles or so. Although the houses are spread out they are in nodal areas of some sort. Any ideas of how to best do this on a limited budget ? Of what to do and not to do . Resources. The climate is fairly extreme especially in the winter .

Reply to
frankdowling1
Loading thread data ...

On 12 Aug 2006 19:08:29 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in :

Mesh network overview:

The crude way is to construct a tree network from a centralized Internet backhaul, which can be done with relatively inexpensive consumer grade gear: ^ | +-------+-------+ |+-------------+| ||Internet Pipe|| |+------+------+| | | | |+------+------+| ||Access Point || |+-+--------+--+| +--+--------+---+ | | +------------+--+ +-+-------------+ |+-----------+-+| |++------------+| ||Client Bridge|| ||Client Bridge|| |+------+------+| |+------+------+| | | | | | | |+------+------+| |+------+------+| ||Access Point || ||Access Point || |+-+-----------+| |+-+---------+-+| +--+------------+ +--+---------+--+ | | | | +------------+--+ +--+------------+ |+-----------+-+| |+-+-----------+| ||Client Bridge|| ||Client Bridge|| |+------+------+| |+------+------+| | | | | | | |+------+------+| |+------+------+| ||Access Point || ||Access Point || |+-+---------+-+| |+-+---------+-+| +--+---------+--+ +--+---------+--+ | | | |

Line of sight is needed for each wireless link.

Different channels with minimal overlap (1, 6, 11) should be used to minimize self-interference. External directional high-gain antennas may be needed for access points and client bridges, depending on distance.

Multiple access points may be needed in a given location to handle clients in more than one direction.

Depending on the number of clients, you may need a fast Internet backhaul (e.g., 6 Mbps DSL)

You should start with an accurate planning map of siting locations, marked with clear line-of-sight paths.

Reply to
John Navas

John ,

what would you recommend for "with relatively inexpensive consumer grade gear: " winter weather might be a factor ( or perhaps dew points) if the gear is outside for better reception and transmission.

John Navas wrote:

Reply to
frankdowling1

Depends what part of the country you are in.... There are several HUGE ones in the NorthWest (where there are big hills/mountains are used, biggest skynet in Spokane, covers 230+ sq miles, yes it is 802.11b and work with laptops and pda's.. See

formatting link
for details on coverage and tech help (specs)...), but haven't heard of any where it is flat. There are also a few smaller ones in oregon/idaho/washington along the snake river in Hells Canyon to service the small towns along the river.. (I heard of another in Northern Arkansas, but that is on the hills around the lake there)..

Reply to
Peter Pan

For the outdoor antennas I suggest:

• Hawking HAO14SDP Hi-Gain 14dBi Outdoor Directional Antenna Kit

-or-

• Hawking HAO14SD Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

Any decent wireless access point (or router configured as an access point) and wireless client bridge with external antenna connectors can be used, but I'd personally stick with one vendor if you're buying new; e.g., Hawking HWBA54G Wireless-G Multi-Function AP/Bridge (which supports both modes).

On 12 Aug 2006 23:43:52 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

John ,

why the Hawking ? The only router I really ever had trouble was with the Hawking G. In the end they were recalled in Canada and the wonderfull Best Buy Hawking rebates were ignored and never issued. Tech support was just a delay tactic. What other products from other vendors would you recommend. Could USB adapters such as the zyadas chipset adapters / antennas be used. Would the antenna be best placed outside or would it make much of a difference ? Any ideas for antennas that could be made out of off the shelf components ?

thank you John Navas wrote:

Reply to
frankdowling1

Frank,

You're putting the cart before the horse in asking for product recommendations without having first done a basic plan for the system.

There is a great deal of relevant information in the wikis below -- please access them before asking questions. (If and when you find something that's not covered, I'll probably add it to the wikis, rather than just answering your question -- saves a great deal of my time in the long run.)

You'll need outside antennas where you don't have clear line of sight through windows. That's one of the things you should address in your basic plan.

You can make your own antennas -- that's one of the things covered in the wikis. I can't recommend anything more specific until you've done your basic plan and are thus able to articulate your specific requirements.

You can use USB, but that makes host computers an essential part of the wireless network and may mean placing electronics outside, which is harder than just the antenna.

I recommended Hawking because it's "relatively inexpensive" (as you asked), because it generally works reasonably well, and because it's one of the few vendors with a full line of matching high-gain antennas.

If you cheap out on the system, the result will probably be unreliable operation, which I doubt the community will appreciate or even tolerate. I strongly advise using solid commercial products instead of cheap home-brew solutions.

Good luck, John

On 13 Aug 2006 08:58:23 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks, Not trying to put the cart before the horse. I was just exploring options. Good point - to use commercial products to ensure consistency and reliability. I did not notice the links wikis.

thanks

John Navas wrote:

Reply to
frankdowling1

On 13 Aug 2006 09:55:09 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in :

I also recommended Hawking because the HWBA54G Wireless-G Multi-Function AP/Bridge is one of the few "relatively inexpensive" products designed to easily function as either a wireless access point or a wireless client bridge, increasing flexibility and decreasing support issues.

Reply to
John Navas

I was reading the fine print on Staples ad this morning. It said something about a router "referred to "Draft 802.11 n version 1.1, March 2006, and is not guaranteed to upgradable to the ratified standard". So, if I get this beast and there are changes to the standard do I have essentially a boat anchor? What about after ratification and I get a (say) laptop with the final n, would this n be able to talk to it?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

You are correct. Netgear's "N" Router is what I bought. They say the same thing. But talking with the tech support at netgear said more then likely it will be close to the "N" standard. Which some say is about

6-10 months away.

I bought one and it flys. Real happy with it.

If you buy anything thats final then it will work with the Final "N" Standard. It may or may not work with the pre "N" That is being used now.

I took the chance on it. It's always going to be backwards to "B&G"

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:24:52 GMT, Kurt Ullman wrote in :

No, it will still work as it did before, in "draft n" mode with (and only with) compatible "draft n" equipment, in "g" mode with standard "g" equipment, and in "b" mode with standard "b" equipment..

It may not be able to talk "draft n", but should still be able to talk "g".

Reply to
John Navas

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 19:23:33 GMT, Kevin Weaver wrote in :

True, but then you've wasted the extra money.

Reply to
John Navas

That was my next question to follow-up your reply. Thanks for answering it.

K
Reply to
Kurt Ullman

He is asking about buying one now and have up talk to the "N" Standard once it's set. No one knows for sure yet what the final will be. And If a company said they will, Get it in print.

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

This Is why I said I'm willing to take that chance. I'm sure it will sell on ebay. :)

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.