Community Broadband

Hi

I am intending setting up community broadband.

I would welcome any suggestions on the best equipment to be used for the AP on my property and the one to be used on other properties for a bridge?

Many thanks

Reply to
Enigma
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

You really should get someone with some real expertise. Rolling your own based on info from Usenet isn't a good idea.

Reply to
John Navas

What's your budget? What kind of range do you want?

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

"Enigma" hath wroth:

Where? There may already be 2.4 and 5.6Ghz users in your area. Have you checked (site survey, Google)?

Not enough information. Design of community wireless systems vary radically by various parameters. In particular, the terrain is very important. If there are trees, buildings, and hills in the way, it won't work. There are specialized systems for everything from mountaintop wide area coverage, to metropolitan wireless mesh networks. With the little information you provided, it is impossible to offer a functional solution. It could be anything from a city wide network to a system for a few neighbors.

Let's make it easy (for me):

1. What are you trying to accomplish? (number of users, area, make money, topography, etc)
  2. What do you have to work with? (financials, location, sites, local government, tin foil hats, backhaul, expertise, etc.)
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Mike

Budget is somewhat limited, as I have already spent megabucks on the satellite link.

Range is a 200 - 300 yards really, because anyone I can sell the service to will become a node ie a AP acting as a bridge. Hopefully each one of these will have unit costing about $150 powered onto the rooftop using poe.

Been looking at the Dlink and Linksys units

Thanks

Reply to
Enigma

Hi John

I take your point but I am a systems engineer with some networking experience.

Thanks

Reply to
Enigma

You gotta get off the tin foil hats, they are conspired against enough.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

If you want something really cheap, look at the CompUSA branded 802.11g router. I bought one earlier this year for $9.99 after rebate.

The thing that is unique about this router is it's flexibility. In addition to a standalone router, it can be used as a WI-FI repeater. The one I've been using for the last few months has absolutely rock solid firmware.

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

even though you are only going 200-300 yards you might take a look at this supplier. I've been using him for my wireless hotspot radios and he's 'sales with service' He knows his product and is willing to help you.

I'd use a router off of you satellite system that feeds the access point below. The Router can do DHCP or you can use fixed IP's either way your system will work. Fixed IP's would be easier to control and if a reboot was needed you wouldn't have to worry about DHCP at all.

I'd use the following AP,, a little more money than you were thinking, but feature rich and very reliable. This needs an external antenna, if you have people in a 360 deg circle use one of his 9dbi omnis.

formatting link

For CPE (client radios ) use the following radio. I've used 10-15 of these linking 'end of line' cable to other buildings and they work great with the 12-14dbi built in antenna

formatting link

Good luck,,, this is a suggestion using what little info you related in your post. The more info you can give us, the better we can help you...

Bob

Bob Smith Robert Smith Consulting

Reply to
Bob Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.