Clients not showing up in DHCP Client list

A friend of mine has an ethernet network at his workplace. It uses a Linksys router, netgear hub and has 4 Macs running System 10, and 3 PC's running XP sp2, and two printers ( a brother and an HP). they have cable modem access to Internet.

The network was quite stable for nearly two years, then all of a sudden problems started developing. Some of the Mac's were unable to print, and it seems that at one time or another the networked computers also lost connectivity to the Internet, although not necessarily all at the same time.

I suggested that they reboot everything and see if that didn't correct the problem. My assumption was that maybe RoadRunner had changed their IP address and the router was getting confused because of it. In any case, rebooting the cable modem, router and all the computers seemed to fix things...for a few days. then the problems came back.

I used the Linksys webadmin to peer into the DHCP client list and noticed that on one occasion, only one computer was listed, even though

4 computers were "online" and able to surf the net, etc. So I'm wondering how it's possible that they apparently had Internet access yet haven't apparently been assigned an IP address by the router. Is this even possible?

Any ideas what might be going on here? We've been trying to isolate this problem for over two months and don't know if it's a failing router, hub, bad ethernet cable, or some combination of all of the above, or something else that I don't know about (which is HIGHLY probable)

Appreciate any suggestions.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Erb
Loading thread data ...

More likely, they have got IPs correctly, but the web admin tool isn't correctly noticing this fact. My SMC has the same 'feature' and it works just about as well.

Don't worry about it, its probably just a bug in the router admin tool's s/w. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Michael Erb hath wroth:

That's normal. What happens is that the ARP table in your unspecified Linksys router only displays entries for DHCP assigned IP's just after they are assigned. If you reboot the router, the table is cleared and you'll see nothing. When it comes time for the client to request a lease renewal, the router will first ping the IP address to see if it's being used. It will then grab the MAC address to see if it matches one that was assigned to another IP address. If everything is correct, the router DHCP server will renew the lease.

Depending on implimentation, it may or may not show the renewal in the client list. I've lost track of which routers do what, but some of them will only show the lease when originally issued. Others will also show them on a lease renewal. In either case, the router does not need to know the IP addresses issued by DHCP until lease renewal time comes around. The client has a valid IP address and can use it whether it's displayed or not.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks guys. That's very good information to have.

Michael

Reply to
cnymike

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.