Client Mode?

I have a the Linksys WRT54G Ver. 2 . I am trying to test for signals. I was told that I need the router in client mode. Is this true and what would I need to get this thing working. I have been reading on this for quite awhile with no success in getting any results. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Fying High
Loading thread data ...

Fying High hath wroth:

Amazing. Thanks for including the WRT54G hardware version number. That's a first and deserves a detailed answer. v2 should work just fine.

Basically true. The stock Linksys firmware does not have a wireless client mode. In order to get this feature, you'll need to replace the stock firmware with a Linux based 3rd party alternative such as:

There are others. See:

When you say "trying to test for signals", are you looking just for other access points or are you also looking for clients? If sniffing for clients, look into Kismet Drone. If access points, DD-WRT, and probably the others have various sniffers built in that can be used in normal access point mode. For example: /sbin # site_survey buflen=[480] version=[107] count=[3] [ 0] SSID[ NETGEAR] BSSID[00:1B:2F:4F:60:AC] channel[11] rssi[-89] noise[-98] beacon[100] cap[421] dtim[0] rate[12] enc[Open] [ 1] SSID[ default] BSSID[00:15:E9:68:28:A2] channel[ 6] rssi[-81] noise[-89] beacon[100] cap[431] dtim[0] rate[12] enc[WEP] [ 2] SSID[ moo] BSSID[00:13:10:EA:0B:97] channel[ 6] rssi[-93] noise[-89] beacon[100] cap[401] dtim[0] rate[12] enc[Open]

There are also HTML front ends that produce more readable output.

DD-WRT v23 SP3 and OpenWRT include Wi-Viz 2.0:

which provides one of the strangest site survey display I've ever seen. Instead of the usual table or chart, Wi-Viz has a moving display that never seems to stay put. However, it does show client radios in infrastructure mode.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Like i said ,I have been reading up on this for a long time! I will go through your instructions and study more. I am wanting to test free wifi spots for free internet. I pay for my internet. I want to be able to learn this stuff and help others learn.

Thanks once again!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Fying High

I flashed the router with dd-wrt . It asked for a name and password. I am not sure of those. Is there a default name and pass?

formatting link

Reply to
Fying High

Huh? aren't you trying to use it normally? why did you flash it?

formatting link

Reply to
Peter Pan

The default is name= root pw= admin Simple question simple answer. No need to answer a question with a question.

Reply to
nonya

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.