Clearwire?

I'm looking for Internet on my laptop while traveling. What is the opinion of Clearewire?

Reply to
AWilliamson
Loading thread data ...

Clearwire has deployed in very very few cities. coverage to the "in house" level is typically less than three miles per "tower".

Better to look at what AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon offer for typically under $60 for unlimited access.

Reply to
DTC

AWilliamson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

To add to DTC's comments.....Clearwire is 'fixed' wireless. Not mobile wireless.

While you can move it somewhere else where there's coverage, it can't be used like you would typcally use it on a laptop. You can think of it just like DTV, you can take your rig down and move it to your new house, but it won't work while your moving.

Reply to
DanS

Clearwire has a setup in Abilene TX. I looked at the coverage maps and tower locations - that's how I came up with that three mile number.

Since its rated for "in-house" coverage (without any external antenna), it would work even better when in a car or on the street, but...as for moving data rates, seamless roaming between sites, and if indeed you can change from site to site without admin intervention might be worth looking into.

In the latter case, you can relocate a Hughes satellite system to any lower 48 state, but with the SkyBlue you may have to re-register as they use sectored footprints for the accounts.

Same with some rural wireless companies that set your mac addy to the access point.

Reply to
DTC

Yes it will. I live in Amarillo, Tx. I have a friend with clearwire and we take it around town all the time plugged into an inverter and his laptop. He has used it while driving all over town and has even used it seamlessly while driving between Amarillo and Lubbock and a few other places around the panhandle. I'm not saying he had perfect signal the entire way but when in range (we've been surprised where we've actually had service sometimes) we've seen 500-900Kb and once you get still and locked on a site you'll max it out. Am I reccomending Clearwire as a good alternative to mobile internet? No, but it can be used that way. YMMV depending on location. They also have the PCMCIA card that plugges directly into a your laptop.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Typically what speeds are you getting?

Reply to
DTC

"Adair Winter" wrote in news:OHm7j.4855$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net:

That's interesting. I really 'wouldn't have thunk it' would work very well like that.

Reply to
DanS

My buddy often sees 1.5 to 1.7 Mbps.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.