clearwire?

I just received a new service in my area called "clearwire" broadband wireless. they use a wireless modem and receive and transmit via cell phone towers. Has anyone out there tryed or is using this service? I just was wondering how decent it is? They claim to be the next wave of wireless fast service. will see!! thanks in advance mike

Reply to
ritzoid
Loading thread data ...

I've not used it, but like all wireless services so far the answer is "it depends". If the pricing is good I wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot if there's good signal in your area. And it may be the next wave, but it isn't really all that different from the last few waves. See a question to this group from a couple of weeks ago:

formatting link
Let us know how it goes if you try it.

Reply to
Rôgêr

I signed up with Clearwire as soon as they went online in Abilene Texas. It has been a month now with no problems at all and I highly recommend it.

Reply to
John Marion

What's the cost?

Reply to
Not Me

$25 for 768/256 $35 for 1.5/256 (I think) add $5 for the modem

Read all about them at

formatting link

Reply to
John Marion

John...........

About Clearwire, was the installation as automatic as advertised or were there some manual settings that had to be tweaked in the Control Panel/Network Options? And, are you happy with your u/l, d/l speeds, particularly the upload speed? I hear it's only around 200 kbps, but I guess even that's OK if not much uploading is done... Anyway, I'm also in the Abilene area and looking forward to getting Clearwire, but waiting for more user info to come out. Any thoughts/comments you could give me would be cool! Thanks.

Oh yeah, how many lights are lit on your modem (signal strength)?

RG

Reply to
EW

The modem installation should be automatic painless trouble-free. You simply have to have a NIC to plug the modem into. You might have to run a Network wizard or an Internet Connection wizard.

For years we've had four computers networked through a switch, sharing a dialup connection. A graphic on the Clearwire site showed networking with the modem plugged into a switch so I expected that to work with the modem doing the routing. It didn't, of course. I had an extra NIC so I installed that and plugged in the modem and shared that and everything was fine. Then I got a router/switch (Belkin, $5 after rebate!) and the setup is even better since there isn't any ICS host now. And if I ever get a wireless device the Belkin router can be fully utilized.

I couldn't send mail for a week. Outlook Express etc automatically configured SMTP on port 25. Several tech guys weren't able to help, much as they tried. Finally a lady telephoned and said I needed to use port 1025 instead. It's a mystery why the guys didn't know that but everything is hunky dory.

Each user gets a personal domain with 10 or 25 MB of space. I haven't bothered to move my personal pages yet. Had to set up mailboxes in my domain which was the strangest thing I've ever done but system administrators will be familiar with all that.

My modem stays at maximum five lights lit. I've reset the router a time or two (no good reason) but the modem has been on non-stop for a month now.

Reply to
John Marion

ETC.................................

Thanks for all the good info, John. You answered a lot of questions I had. Best wishes.

Reply to
EW

Having looked at clearwire's material, I really have to recommend

everyone in Abilene take a pass unless they can't get cable service.

For $69.99 upload speeds are less than a third of what you get from Cox

on a cable modem. At lower price points, upload speeds are more

disappointing. Setup on all products like this are about the same, just

plug it in and in most cases you should be good to go; configuring my

cable modem was trivial. If you have trouble, its because you computer

is setup strangely and thus you are likely to have trouble with all

services.

They're are plenty of places which provide free web hosting, and most

home routers these days support something called dynamic dns. This

effectively lets you use freely available services to register your own

subdomain. Clearwire is not offering anything you can't get on another

service by being a little savy.

I'm a big fan of new tech, and happy as I've been with Cox I'd do

something else if the right deal came along. But clearwires offering

just isn't competitive.

Reply to
jadenton

$69.99??? Where did that come from? Clearwire has two rates: $25 and $35.

Reply to
John Marion

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.