Cisco - Thoughtless, Greedy, Consumer-hostile

TinyURL:

formatting link

Reply to
Wilbur Eleven
Loading thread data ...

Poor old Cisco. They see a $67B corporation predicated on people handing their personal data over for sale to the highest bidder and carrying around tracking devices that report their every movement back to Apple/Google/whoever, and they think "we'd like some of that". So they do it, and what happens? The internet goes nuts. Ain't life a bitch.

And "...encourage any conduct that would violate any applicable law or regulation or give rise to civil or criminal liability.? If you haven't done any of that, then I suggest you see a doctor, as it's possible you're clinically dead.

Reply to
alexd

Heh. 'Specially on Usenet.

Reply to
Wilbur Eleven

The original FUD comments:

Cisco's back pedaling on the cloud issue.

Not the best damage control by Cisco but good enough:

How to disable the formerly mandatory cloud based configuration:

The affected models seem to be only E2700, E3500, and E4500.

Personally, I might trust Cisco to manage my customers home routers, but I would not trust Linksys. I've seen too many screwups in the past and see no benift as to why I should take the risk. I also haven't seen a remote firmware update that actually works reliabily (except for IOS style dual flash routers that can store both old and new versions of the firmware). For me, it's wait a while and see what happens.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Does anyone know where Linksys ends and Cisco begins? That would be in regard to both hardware and software.

Maybe the solution is to buy hardware that supports open source firmware and take the manufacturer halfway out of the equation.

Reply to
miso

If I support it, it's Cisco. If not, it's Linksys.

("Real" Cisco products are in this list here:

formatting link
Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Chuckle...

An easier way is the product name starts with a letter, it's Linksys. If it starts with a number, it's Cisco.

There's also an easy way to tell which products are better. Only superior products are worth counterfeiting. Many Cisco products have been illegally cloned, while I don't know any Linksys products that qualify.

If it requires an IT department to maintain, it's a Cisco product. If the IT department won't touch it with a 3.05 meter pole, it's Linksys.

There's also a subtle difference in the Cisco logos. Real Cisco looks like "CI$CO". Linksys by Cisco looks like "CIS¢O". The differences also are reflected in the pricing.

Software is also easy to differentiate. Cisco comes with a router management suite, SNMP MIB's, monitoring utilities, Netflow, and a magic acronym decoder ring. Linksys comes with a "Run Me First" CD, that usually doesn't quite work, and cartoon instructions for how to use the automagic "One Button MisConfiguration" system. Both come with many pages of legalese in a 2pt font, which nobody really reads.

Cisco also offers a wide variety of mutually exclusive options and add-ons, most of which require a CCNE to untangle. These options include human readable printed part numbers identifying everything, except the product name, which is written in bar code. Linksys is much easier because there are no options, no add-ons, intentionally confusing model numbers, and nothing is labeled.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

l.com>=20

Good grief. What scum.

Dell is doing the same thing with their "Dell Stage" spying software that s= hips with their new laptops. If you real the EULA closely, it essentially s= ays that Dell has the right to monitor everything that you do, and share th= e information with their partners. And then they go on to say something lik= e, "Except for the service tag, Dell does not collect information that can = identify you."

But everyone who works at Dell knows that the primary means by which Dell i= dentifies a computer, and therefore EVERYTHING about the customer that boug= ht the computer, is the service tag, so this statement a a flat out lie, or= misleading at best. The Dell Stage software essentially knows your name, a= ddress, phone number, email address...everything.

There are people in the world who spend most of their working hours thinkin= g about how to pimp their customers, and they take great pride in being abl= e to do so without violating the law. Their ethical standards are atrocious= ly low. These people spend WEEKS, carefully going over the EULA wording, wi= th their legal departments, to figure how how to get what they want (pimp o= ut the customer) without breaking the law and without inadvertently tipping= off astute customers.=20

This has got to stop.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.