Cisco AP and linux

Hi,

Most probably the answer will be no, however... I've got this Cisco AP1310 and I was wondering if there is any linux distribution for this hardware like for example OperWRT.

Thanks for any hints

Bye

Reply to
roberto.riggio
Loading thread data ...

Nope. However, you have something better in the AP1310. Cisco runs on IOS. If you want features and functions, Cisco IOS is way more "powerful" than any of the Linux based wireless routers.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann ha scritto:

Well,you're probably right... however since I have a couple of those toys I was wondering if I could do something like MIT's roofnet. I've just discovered this amazing project and since there are several linux implementation of this kind of routing protocols I was planning of reusing this cisco's hardware to build a mesh network.

Reply to
Hamvil

Well,you're probably right... however since I have a couple of those toys I was wondering if I could do something like MIT's roofnet. I've just discovered this amazing project and since there are several linux implementation of this kind of routing protocols I was planning of reusing this cisco's hardware to build a mesh network.

Reply to
Hamvil

"Hamvil" hath wroth:

I'm always right. Well, maybe usually right.

Dunno. Probably not because they use custom firmware. They seem to prefer Netgear WGT634u.

formatting link
don't think your Cisco boxes will work with RoofNet (not sure).

I have a bad attitude about mesh networks, but they're the current fashion rage in wireless. Far be it for me to suggest that they have problems.

Some reading on Mesh from my bookmark pile:

formatting link
(links and papers)
formatting link
(2 or more radios is the right way to do mesh)
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yep, I know. I have one of those myself. However you can use every kind of hardware, they just require a Linux OS.

Well I wasn't looking for something that would works just put-of-the-box. I was ready to spend some time on it, but I need at least a minimal linux distribution that can boot on that hardware.

Well I'm still at the university so I have some time to spend on the topic. Thanks for the links I didn't know about belair. Unluckly they do not have anything open source. I was planning to write a tool for managing such kind of networks like the one that they show in their flyers.

Reply to
Hamvil

"Hamvil" hath wroth:

There are quite a few companies and groups doing mesh networks. Only a few offer more than one radio to avoid the store and forward lag and bandwidth reduction effects. Management tools are nice, but that's not where the problems hide. I suggest you look into the adaptive routing algorithms, route self-optimization, bandwidth optimization, interference tolerance/avoidance, abuse mitigation, auto configuration, and self-healing networks. Once these are working, mesh networks could run themselves and require only monitoring (fault detection), not management (manual tweaking).

Mesh network vendors: BelAir Networks Inc Cisco Systems Inc PacketHop Inc. Proxim Corporation Rajant Corporation RoamAD SkyPilot Networks Inc Strix Systems Inc Tropos Networks Inc Firetide Hopling Technologies BV MeshDynamics Motorola Inc (Motomesh) Nortel Networks

Best of luck.

Oh... you might wanna see what Cisco has to offer in the way of mesh networks:

formatting link
possibly trade the hardware.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.