cisco 350 devices not assoicating

hi alt.intenet.wireless

Just wondering if anyone can help me trouble shoot an Access Point issue. At work I have a warehouse with around 20 AP's - some of my handheld devices will not accociate to one of the AP's - what are the trouble shooting steps for this? - sorry for the lame question but I am new to wireless at work and stepping into someone else's shoes...

cheers mike

Reply to
mikieouk
Loading thread data ...

Mike,

Check and make sure there isn't a maximum-user threshold set on the Cisco AP, make sure there isn't any co-channel interference, and possibly try to disable other AP's around so that the HH's will force associate to it.

Chris Hutchison, CEO NetSteady

1-866-678-WIFI
Reply to
NetSteady

On 7 Mar 2007 06:31:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

See Wireless Wiki below, especially the Fast Fixes section.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks chaps - I've noticed that there is no tx or rx stat's when checking the AP Radio - the AP has two antenna's which are somewhere in the roof space - it's hard to see from ground level ... if they weren't screwed in properly would I get no tx / rx ??

cheers mike

Reply to
Mikieo

On 8 Mar 2007 00:34:29 -0800, "Mikieo" wrote in :

Possible -- I don't have much experience with that particular radio -- but in general, no antenna, no signal.

Reply to
John Navas

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

There are a large number of wireless and 350 specific troubleshooting documents on the Cisco web pile.

If you're in a hurry and think it might be a configuration issue, just dump the configuration from a working and a non-working AP and compare. Otherwise, it could be broken. With 20 access points, a spare radio would be a good idea.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 09:41:58 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

I'd say radio overlap/redundancy would be an even better idea.

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas hath wroth:

I beg to differ. A few months ago, I posted a rant about a hotel customer of mine. His solution, prior to my arrival, to coverage problems was to just add access point after access point until coverage improved. Instead, he added access point after access point as his locally generated self-interference increased. At one point, my guess is about that he had perhaps 30 or more access points scattered all over the building, pool area, conference rooms, and lobby. There were several key locations (i.e. lobby) where I could see about 7 or 8 access points, many of which were on the same channel. I spent considerable effort removing redundant access points and replacing omni antennas with directional panels. He's down to about 10 access points and working quite well.

Overlap and redudancy is a good suggestion, but doing so in an uncontrolled manner will cause problems. In this case, I have we have no idea how these 20 access points are arranged or whether adding redundancy and overlap will constitute an improvement or an added source of interference. I prefer not to speculate.

In this case, we have one access point that has apparently failed. I prefer troubleshooting by replacement. If the replacement works, the problem has been both identified and solved. There are a few used Cisco 350 AP's on eBay for $35 to $100/ea. Cheap.

Incidentally, the hotel just sent me email asking for a quote on what it would take to get coverage in the public bathrooms (pool, lobby, conference rooms, etc). I suspect they really mean cell phone coverage, but I'm at a loss as to why they would need Wi-Fi coverage in there.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:37:41 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

What I had in mind was carefully planned minimal redundancy.

Reply to
John Navas

I thank you all for your comments. I will be the first to admit that I'm very new to wireless networking in the work environment (especially a busy factory), and if I'm really honest I have inherited this job role and am trying my hardest to get to grips with it.

I have yet to do a site survey but I notice that in the warehouse I'm talking about we have a mixture of say 20 Cisco 350's and 4 Cisco

1200's - Of course I have spare units and indeed this particularly access point we are talking about was swapped for a unit I configured on bench - I copied the old AP config before it died and uploaded it to the new unit (which is now in place and not associating or showing any radio traffic) - Fortunately the wireless devices in use can and have roamed to other AP's

My thoughts are that the new AP I put in may be and always have been faulty and just my bad look! Now I'm thinking of ditching the 350's and putting in 1200's that I have in stock (mainly because I think the

1200's are 54Mbps while the 350's are 11Mbps?) - But that opened up a few more areas of concern:-

1) I need to arrange power sockets for the 1200 AP's - may not sound a big issue but it is when your AP's are way up in the roof spaces!

2) Is there an easy way to migrate a configuration from a 350 to a 1200?

3) Do I have to do anything with our fire wall regarding the MAC address of the new AP?

Many thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mikieo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.