Cingular Wireless Internet

But doesn't AT&T's 3G network have a really small footprint? I have never seen it in use.

Reply to
George
Loading thread data ...

You can't comment, and yet you do. You haven't seen it.

formatting link
check the "3G" box if you are zoomed in on a place of interest.

I'm not sure which comment you are replying to, so I snipped them both. The "older system", which would that be? And people getting 10% of the rated speed? For EDGE, 10% of the maximum card speed would be 15Kbps. My phone had a theoretical max of 100Kbps, so my 10% would have been 10Kbps.

I never saw connections that slow. You are confused. Maybe the connection speed reported by Windows was 230Kbps, and throughput was somehow noted as being 10% of that, but that was the link betwen PC and modem, not the WAN link, nor should it be reasonably expected as the WAN speed. Something in the range of 20-30Kbps would be a reasonable GPRS connection, and also in the neighborhood of a good dialup.

Reply to
dold

Using both a tethered phone and air card, speeds sometimes were as high as 150 Kbps, and as slow as 30 Kbps. Typically I got around 50 Kbps.

Even though the phone was a Class 3 (?) device and the air card a Class 10 (?), it was more a matter where I used the devices. Connections were often three times as fast up on the hill about 1,000 ft from the tower, but slower 2,000 ft from the tower. Oddly enough, we have three towers all within a mile of each other and the town is less than 5,000 people.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

I currently have the wireless internet offered by AT&T. They do offer a

30 day trial time, where you are not locked in. After that, you are locked in for two years. I don't think the speed is too bad - I have cable internet, and in comparison, I would say it is a bit slower, more like DSL. But much, much faster than dial-up. I also got my aircard free with activation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
ciavyn

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 16:04:59 -0400, ciavyn wrote in :

You're only locked in for 2 years if you opt for the maximum equipment subsidy. You can buy the equipment someplace else.

Reply to
John Navas

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 09:07:05 -0400, George wrote in :

It's actually pretty large -- in most parts of the greater San Francisco Bay Area I get "3G" (HSDPA) rather than EGPRS(EDGE).

Reply to
John Navas

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 09:03:15 -0400, George wrote in :

With proper equipment and decent signal, AT&T/Cingular EGPRS(EDGE) speeds are quite respectable, on the order of 200 Kbps downlink, about

4x best dialup speed.
Reply to
John Navas

I got mine at Radio Shack with only a one year contract...but took it back after a week. It was just too slow. I went with Sprint.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.