Choice of wireless adapter: Netgear or Linksys, USB or PCI, security?

Greetings,

I just moved into a new place and I now need to integrate my networking with my new housemates (previously, I just had a Linksys wireless router for myself).

They already have a Netgear wireless 4-port router (haven't looked to see what model), located on the 1st floor. I have a desktop on the third floor, which would obviously make a wired connection a royal pain. I've already connected my laptop to the router, and was surprised to find that the signal was pretty strong at my computer desk on the 3rd floor. So it seems that purchasing a wireless adpater is the way to go.

Several questions:

1) Linksys or Netgear? Any advantages/disadvantages to using the same brand as the router?

2) USB or PCI? I'll have to confirm whether I have USB 2.0 but reviews on the wireless USB routers I've seen seem to consistently report heat issues, which will certainly be exascerbated in my 3rd floor room since it is summer here, and A/C is lacking. Do I gain anything is using PCI?

3) As an aside, my housemates do not have WEP enabled but do have an approved MAC address list. They have changed the default router password to a non-trivial one. Is this suffcient security for general use or should I tell them to enable WEP anyway?

TIA, -Mark

Reply to
Cueball
Loading thread data ...

MAC address list. They have changed the default router

should I tell them to enable WEP anyway?

Well it depends on what they want to do. It's quite likely that the management of the router is done via a web or telnet interface. If so, that password, however complex is transmitted in clear text. Given that they have no wireless encryption, it *could* be sniffed.

However, as ever the likelihood of someone sniffing it for the odd moment when they make a change is probably unlikely.

On the other hand, the MAC list is trivial to defeat by cloning and WEP is pretty simple to crack too, better to use an alternate encryption method.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I was having a lot of trouble with Netgear and switched to Linksys. Linksys is holding up pretty good so far but I did have a problem with the utility program for my Linksys PC card running on XP Pro on a ThinkPad T41

- the XP Pro wireless utility program was much more stable.

I would say that PCI has better throughput.

WEP is considered broken but it's better than nothing. I would recommend using it but you should change the WEP key routinely. But, if you have WPA capable devices that would be a much better way to go.

Reply to
johnny

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.