Chip in Linksys WPC11

Does anyone know which versions, if any, of the Linksys WMP11 PCMCIA cards use a BCM4301 chip?

I need to acquire an 802.11b-only PC card with a BCM4301 for software development. I would appreciate knowing the models and revisions of cards that use that chip.

Thanks,

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger
Loading thread data ...

Larry Finger hath wroth:

a BCM4301 chip?

The WPC11 and WMP11 have internal photos on the FCC ID web site. I'm too lazy to lookup the FCC ID numbers. Bug me if you can't find them. Both the WPC11 and WMP11 have used that chip, but I don't know which hardware mutations. The FCC ID is different for these mutations, so a quick look at the internal photos should tell all.

There are also lots of Linux distributions that list the cards and what chips they use. See:

development. I would

Drivel: Petition with 16,000 signatures to get Broadcom to release internal info on the BCM4301.

Well, I tried the FCC ID search page for WMP11 and of course, it doesn't find anything. I correctly guessed that the prefix is "PKW". So, I used just "PKW" for the search key and got 70 hits. The WMP11 is listed twice:

Bummer. The internal photos shows a MiniPCI card, with an unreadable chip designation. The board says "Intersil" so I don't think it's a Broadcom chipset.

The one labelled WMP11-V27 is a bit more helpful.

It clearly shows the Broadcom chipset BCM4307KPF, which methinks (not sure) is a rather odd choice. It has an onboard V.92 modem and ethernet interface. Weird. Incidentally, the RF chip appears to be a BCM2051KML.

Methinks you can do the same for the WPC11.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

use a BCM4301 chip?

development. I would

Our reverse-engineering process has done rather well. At present we are getting throughputs measured with iperf that are up to 80% of what the Windows driver gets.

That is the way Broadcom does things. My main laptop has a mini-PCIe card with a BCM4311 in it. Included in the cores on the chip are the expected PCIe and 802.11 cores; however it also has a USB

1.1 host core. Why? Who knows?

I found that the WPC11 V4 has a RTL8180 wireless chip, but there is no label on the wireless chip in the WPC11 V3 photos. That may very well be a BCM4301.

Thanks for your help.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

Larry Finger hath wroth:

throughputs measured

Cool. I have some Broadcom based cards in laptops that I want to try on Linux.

a BCM4311 in it.

however it also has a USB

Can I guess? Methinks it's to reduce the number of different chips that have to be inventoried. The idea is to use the same chip for all the manufacturers products (USB, PCI, PCMCIA, router, etc).

the wireless chip in

For v4.0, it's a Maxim MAX2820.

WPC11 v2.9

Looks like Intersil Prism ISL37305P reference design. Photo shows blurry a ISL387381A MAC chip.

WPC11 v3.0

Chips are unreadable.

WPC11 v3.1

Chips are unreadable.

WPC11 v4.0

RTL8180L MAC chip. RF chip is Maxim MAX2820.

I may have missed some because I was yacking on the phone and radio at the same time as I was trying to decode the chips.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

getting throughputs measured

When you make the try, use kernel 2.6.21-rc5 (or later), otherwise get the latest 2.6.20.y and get the combined_2.6.20.y.patch from ftp://lwfinger.dynalias.org/patches. The stock kernels older than

2.6.20, which will include the kernels found in most distros, are really out of date; however, once a kernel reaches the -rc stage, only bug fixes are allowed into the official distribution.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.