Cheap handheld Web via WiFi device?

I'm looking for a relatively cheap handheld device with a Web browser that can access the internet through WiFi. Being able to log on to public hotspots and access WEP and WPA protected routers is essential.

I use T-Mobile pre-paid cell service, but don't want to pay the freight for a contract which includes Web access through T-Mobile's network.

It looks like a USA-standards unlocked GSM phone, a GSM phone locked to T-Mobile's USA network or a stand-alone PDA with the required Web & WiFi support is what I'm looking for.

If non-GSM, non-T-Mobile phones will work in WiFi mode without activation, I'm open to those too.

My first search led me to an unlocked Motorola ZN5 for $190, but I couldn't find anything describing its ability to connect to hotspots or protected networks.

Can anybody suggest devices & sources for something that would work?

Reply to
Bert Hyman
Loading thread data ...

iPod Touch?

Reply to
Warren Oates

I discounted that without checking because I thought it was too expensive, but the 8GB is only $200 now.

Thanks for the reminder.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

You can probably do better if you watch the refurbs or Craigslist.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Used iPhones or iPod Touch, or certain Blackberry models.

I know some folks with several... sometimes retiring them as music players with no cellular.

The iPod Touch would be the most obvious, since it never did anything but WiFi, and there wouldn't be any configuration problems. I don't know about an iPhone without a cellular plan.

The BlackBerry expects to have WiFi authorized by a previous cellular connection, but various postings indicate that it can be configured to avoid that.

Reply to
dold

Please don't use the word "cheap" in your headers. It makes my filters nervous. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

used k=mate phone or a new Lg Prado II ( I have one)

Reply to
atec 77

Unlocked Nokia E63

Reply to
me

That's what I'm using. I paid about $170 for a used 8MB iPod Touch 2G on eBay. Current price on eBay is about $160 (including shipping).

The problem with buying used iPod Touch handhelds on eBay is that most of them will have been used for a year or three, and now have a semi-dead battery. The replacement battery is cheap but a nightmare to replace. If you're handy with a plastic pry bar, this is not a problem.

Make sure you get a 2G or 3G model. The first generation model has some limitations (no mic connection on the earphone jack, slower CPU, etc ). The iPod Touch wireless also has rather limited range due to the tiny antenna and substantial metal back shield. Make sure you a obtain a collection of necessary accessories (case protector, plug in mic, earphone, docking station, car charger, house charger, USB cable, etc.). Another option is to get a used iPhone, and just disable the phone section by leaving out the SIM card. That gives you all the features of the iPod Touch, with the addition of GPS, internal microphone, and nifty camera, for the same price.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Penny and a half of input:

formatting link

berk

Reply to
TBerk

Why even consider a Phone? have you considered something like say the nokia N800/N810 series tablets? or even the n900 mobile pocket computer?

Reply to
Peter Pan

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, Peter Pan chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Whilst the N900 is the most computer-like phone I've seen [and that's a plus in my opinion], it's a long way from being "relatively cheap".

Reply to
alexd

Since I carry a phone anyway, it would be handy if I could combine both functions into a single device.

Yes, and they really look neat. And not terribly expensive either.

Now, that one does seem to be terribly expensive.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

t unfortunatly it is (expensive) i use the n800 (about $179 and skype, have wifi at both home and work, cancelled my cellphone), however the initial q was about "I'm looking for a relatively cheap handheld device with a Web browser >> that can access the internet through WiFi. Being able to log on to

and the cheaper ones seem to fit that bill

however, since i wrote that i have been looking into one specific model of iphone (there are 8 models, but this one can be used on wifi only with no cell contract) ipod 8gb touch $183 at walmart!

formatting link

Reply to
Peter Pan

On 19 Jan 2010 18:27:29 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote in :

Currently $189 at the Apple Outlet:

Under $100 used on eBay or craigslist.

Reply to
John Navas

That's a refurbed 1st gen 16GB model; no thanks.

New 3rd gen 8GB model is now $184 everywhere.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

ipod 8gb touch $183 at walmart!

formatting link

Reply to
Peter Pan

I'm considering an Ipod as well..... but is 8 gig enough in one of these units?

I wont have hardly any music on it.... but instead will be using it for productivity app's and email, web surfing, etc

Reply to
me

If you're not using it for music or video, 8GB is more than enough. There are a few apps that use more than a couple hundred MB, navigation software, some port of an old game (Myst?), and a few sets of reference software.

The majority of applications are under 10MB though.

I'd be very surprised if you could fill 8GB full of apps in real world usage (downloading every navigation package or using a "wifi drive" doesn't count)

Reply to
DevilsPGD

your choice on size, they have three sizes, 8 16 32 (32 is $295, i assumed he wanted the cheapest)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.