channels...

I've noticed that a lot of my neighbours are finally going wireless... Unfortunantly my Linksys has decided to crash each time one of them logs into the net... I picked up a copy of mac stumbler and noticed that everyone is on channel 6... I switched to a different channel... Do you think that that is the reason for the crashes? Is that the purpose of having different channels available to us?

Reply to
SpreadTooThin
Loading thread data ...

I ran into the same problem when two of us were running wireless routers in the house. One was a linksys , the other a D-Link 514, both on channel 6 and just down the hall from each other. Periodically the Linksys would crash and when I moved my D-Link to Ch11 all was fine.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Mathieu

On 9 Feb 2007 18:10:32 -0800, "SpreadTooThin" wrote in :

Which Linksys? What firmware? Latest firmware? What does "crash" mean?

Ideally 1 or 11.

No.

No. Different channels help to minimize mutual interference.

Reply to
John Navas

I've noticed (since doing a bunch of playing around with a WiSpy) that the lower channels seem to be better because microwave ovans (especially) interfere with the higher channels more.. don't think it's a problem.. get a wispy and go turn on your microwave... I know personally I had a microwave that had 1200watts at 2450Mhz printed on it. Check here for wifi channel list

formatting link
Just an FYI if anyone is interested.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Witner

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:26:23 GMT, "Adair Witner" wrote in :

There are a great many possible sources of interference -- see list in wiki below -- and there's no one channel that's best for all of them. Best to try all of the three minimally-overlapping channels (1, 6, 11) to see which one works best in each particular case.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.