channel problem 5 6 7 8

Wierd problem. I bought a wrt54g today and set it up on channel 6, my laptop with a builtin intel 2200bg wouldnt connect. It is running XP SP1. I put the wrt54g on channel 1 and 11 and it worked. channel 5, 6 ,7 and 8 would not work but 4 and 9 detected the wrt54g but would not connect. I suspected the wrt54g but I have a wap54g (that I usually run on 11) and did the same test and had the same results with my laptop. I figured my laptop card was at fault so I put in a oninoco card and it also had the same results. Any ideas?

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

Sounds like interference in your area, don't use those channels.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Both the WRT54G (assuming thats a wireless router) and the WAP54G (assuming thats an AP) won't work with channels 5 through 8 -- with either of the two wireless laptop (built-in or the Orinoco card)...

Hmm. Something is in the air. I take it that its probably not outside SSIDs, or you would have already noted that easily. Have ya tried running Netstumbler on the laptop to see how bad the SNR is on the those channels while the router or AP is broadcasting channels 5 to 8.? Might be able to track it down doing that. Common sources of home interference (2.4 Ghz) can come from cordless phones, microwave ovens, fish aquariums, security systems, baby monitors, garage door opens, you name it.

I might be mistaken, but isn't there a "spectrum analyzer"-type program available for Orinoco cards? I seem to recall coming across one (downloadable) at some point and was interested in it until noting that it wouldn't work with any of my hardware. By "spec annie", I mean that the program will display any signal received in the card's band -- regardless of what scheme it is using.

Any suspect commercial/industrial sources outside your home? Hopefully this won't be the case, as really won't be able to do anything short of wrapping your house in aluminum foil. :/

Keep us posted on what you find out as this is an interesting topic.

Cheers,

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

Are you using Super "G" Mode? If so I understand that super g will only work on a certain channel. This is here say buy it comes from a reliable source who I have known for years. I do not use Super G...so I do not know what channel it uses..but he said his would only work on channel 11 or something like that...it was in his documentation.

I look forward to hearing what fixes your problem.

GL

Sam

Reply to
hello

known

ideas?

I tested another laptop and it had the same issue. Netstumbler shows my AP on channel 6 but it drops in and out. I used my Spectrum card and snoop and there is a fairly high signal around channel 6. I just didnt expect it cause i live in the boonies of arkansas and not that many close neighbors. Maybe someone put in a wisp but I would expect to see an SSID if thats the case or my neigbors are brighter than I thought. Everything looked normal on Netstumbler comparing to other channels except the SNR faded in and out along with the AP active, Inactive.

Cheers...

Reply to
Airhead

range is a

No, I have nothing in the house that could cause it. It must be an outside source. I can use 1 or 11 and it works fine so its not a problem its just that I had bought a new wrt54g and was checking it out when I discovered 6 wouldnt work so I thought it might be the new box.

Reply to
Airhead

Do you have 2.4 freq. portable phones, microwave, baby monitor, etc all these devices use the 2.4 freq. that your router uses. The 2.4 range is a shared freq., if you want less interference get a router that uses the A freq. it uses the 5.8 freq.

Reply to
Christian

Interesting. A WISP was in the back of my mind when I wrote my previous message. Interesting how these might come into play with private home networks down the road.

Could be coming from an (non communications related) industrial source as well. Know of any local HAM groups? I bet they would be more than happy to help track down whatever this RF source is.

Cheers,

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.