Changing Network SSID Blocks Incoming Mails To My Inbox?

Taking a moment's reflection, Peter Pan mused: | | Sounds like *YOU* are trying to create a scenario where you are | indispensible. He said it hadn't worked for 4 days.. You gonna sit there | for 4 days?

Your first sentence makes no sense. But, since we've moved into the realm of the ridiculous ... do you believe the client PC hasn't been rebooted once over the course of those four days?

| I love your absolute proclamation of "it won't".. Show's you aren't | thinking.... I am on a computer this second that has both a wired | connection, and is the network exchange mail server on the network, with a | second bridged wireless connection to the WAP/Router and cable | connection.. Not so odd, we have had a wired network for years, and | bridged it to the new wireless one we are installing incrementally as | wired stuff dies. And by the way, that scenario will simulate EXACTLY the | symptoms the op described.

Again, you are making assumptions that aren't relevant to the information the OP has provided. So far, these permutations have gone from

1) reboot the mail client PC; 2) reboot the wireless mail server on the internal network (assuming it exists), or simply click "okay" if it is XP SP2 to accept the SSID change; and now, 3) reboot the client, because the client is also the wireless mail server on the internal network (another assumption).

Your advice is relevant to the scenarios you have created to support them, granted. But, there's no information so far to suggest that your created situations are in any way similar. When a car has a rough idle, you can say that it's dirty fuel injectors because that's exactly the symptom of dirty injectors ... but what if the car's carburated? No dirty injectors.

Reply to
mhicaoidh
Loading thread data ...

Agreed.

Agreed x2. However what the OP wanted was to fix his problem, not have a discussion about the technicalities of changing SSIDs.

IME people very often come to technical groups with the wrong question, based on a half-understanding or complete misunderstanding of the problem. Its often more productive to solve their real problem than discuss their imaginary one!

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Hate to tell you mr THINKS he knows it all (lars not mark), but that's exactly the attitutude I love to see as a consultant. I get to charge hundreds of bucks to fix the errors people like you claim can never happen...Heres a hint, If you have a WAP/Router, and change the ssid on the wireless part, it doesn't effect the wired parts of the network, but if your mail server is wireless and waiting for someone to hit "connect" (SP2 doesn't autoconnect by default), it will do exactly as the OP said (you can email to others on the network, but not get stuff from the wireless node that talks to the outside mail service, until it is re-connected, and the easiest way to train dumb minimum wage employees to handle a problem, is to teach em one thing... reboot... and then if it still doesn't work, call support)

I am sincerely surprised that you get any work as a consultant with the way you talk to others but I guess the low end market is less picky in regards to who they let work for them, but anyway

Also, as a "consultant" I am sure you know that basically you do not have enough knowledge to actually pinpoint the cause of the issue.

Let us sum up:

1. The SSID was changed on the AP
  2. The connection between the Client and the AP is functional as mail can be sent, as well as received internally

As such, the wireless connection is functional.

Some questions are left open:

What is the network toplogy like?

i.e. client -> AP -> LAN(including mailserver)

Can you access the mail server ? I.e. telnet port 110/25 on the mail server Do the relevant logs show anything? on the AP or the mail server? What does a Packetsniffer show?

Now, while i can still send outgoing mails, my incoming mails from 26 Dec onwards are all stranded in the mail server and could not come into my inbox

How do you know they are in the inbox? on which server?

Without knowing how the network. is composed and the email server location and method of access all this is pure guesswork.

but not get stuff from the wireless node that talks to the outside mail service, until it is re-connected

makes no sense at all, reconnect to what? It is connected to the LAN as internal email works fine, and bidirectional connectivity seems to be present. Where should it reconnect to? You make no sense, no offense intended

regards dc

Reply to
datacide

Further, if one wants to force the refresh, simply right click the network status icon on the taskbar (or go through the control panel->networking), and select "repair". Windows FM happens (buffers flushed, a new DHCP address drawn, etc) and the new connection is established in seconds.

I frankly doubt that would do anything here, though. XP, at least is very quick to reconnect to the same channel even if the SSID changes.

Over the Christmas holidays, I did a 1500 mile looping wardrive (aka "vacation") around Florida using the LinkSys WUSB54GS USB2 WiFi adapter mounted in one of my motorhome's skylights. In the more populated areas NetStumbler would announce more than 100 WAPS/mile, about 99% of them open and with default SSIDs. Almost all were on the default channels of 6 or

1. I could make a connection on a channel, fetch my email and then watch XP connect to one WAP after another as I drove along. It would change from one to another sometimes in just a couple of seconds. That little info window would pop up announcing one SSID after another.

There is something else going on here other than just changing SSIDs. perhaps the client adapter needs to be told to rescan the bands. LinkSys calls this a "site survey", others call it a "scan". In any event the client software should discover everything within range and either connect automatically or give the user the option of selecting an AP.

John

Reply to
Neon John

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.