Changing my password

I recently tried to change my password that I have been using with my Internet Service Provider DSL service and my Linksys WAG54G Wireless-G ADSL Gateway. This is used for a home office setup, involving two desktop computers and one laptop computer. I ran into multiple problems, and finally went back to my old password. I really want to change this password, since it has been in use for a very long time, and may have been compromised.

If I reset the password for my Internet Service Provider I can not open the Linksys Setup local IP address, to reset the Linksys password. If I reset the Linksys password first I can not connect to my ISP site to reset that password.

How does one work around this problem?

Reply to
Gordon
Loading thread data ...

That's why there is a Linksys Tech Support. If nothing else, they should be able to help you.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane ;-)

There's something wrong with your config. If the linksys is a local router, changing the ISP password should not affect it - you should be able to connect directly to it via its IP Address (192.168.x.x probably). What error do you get when you try this??

Ditto, the password for your router should not affect the password for your ISP.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I didn't make this quite clear...all my computers can connect with each other, and the readings for the LAN are fine. It is a problem of getting any of the computers to connect with my internet service provider, after I have changed the password at my ISP. For some reason changing my ISP password locks me out of my LinkSys Gateway setup and I can not then change the password in the Gateway, enabling it to access my ISP.

On the other hand, if I change the password in my Gateway first, I am then unable to access my ISP to change the password there.

The thing I can not figure out is why changing my ISP password causes my Gateway setup program to become inaccessible. I can key the Local IP Address into my browser's address slot and press Enter, but I get nothing. My browser will try to search all possible .com, .org, .whatever, until it runs out of ideas then I get an error screen saying this site is not available.

But, as soon as I go back to my ISP and change the password back to its original, I can access my Gateway's setup routine and if seems to function normally.

It seems that if the Gateway can not lock on to the ISP because of the password change, the Gateway will barricade itself against any intrusion into its setup program.

Reply to
Gordon

What IP? 192.168.x.x? If your browser tries to search the internet for these addresses, its severely broken, or your PC configuration is severely broken, since this is a nonroutable address.

Disconnect the router from the modem and internet, and try accessing its setup page now. Any joy?

Can you ping the router?

If so, what is the IP of your PC and of the router?

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Your WAG54G has two passwords. One is the password to configure the router which I think (not sure) is on the security page. The other is the PPPoE login and password on the first "General" or "WAN" page. This is how you connect to your ISP. Which password(s) are you changing? The two passwords are seperate and not related.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.