Changing encryption keys

I'm running a WRT54GS router with WPA encryption and my laptop connects just fine using the built-in XP wireless software.

I lowered the encryption in the router to WEP so that an old Win98 laptop could connect with its 802.11b card. Now, when I try to connect with the XP laptop, the connection tries and fails because it's still trying to use its stored WPA key. How do I get the XP laptop back to the point where it asks me for an encryption key instead of just assuming that the previous key still applies?

Reply to
emtech
Loading thread data ...

emtech wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Win98

because

Open up Network Connection and select the Properties page for the wireless connection.

Select the Wireless Networks tab.

Select your network in the Preferred Networks list

Click the Properties button.

Change the type of protection and key value as required

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

emtech hath wroth:

Find the list of known SSID's to connect to and either modify or delete the one you just added. The list can be found with: Control Panel -> Network -> Wireless Right click on Wireless (and I forgot where you go from there). If you decide to modify, there's a page where it asks for the type of encryption and the encryption key. Then "scan for networks" or something like that, and your SSID should reappear. (Sorry to be so vague but I don't have an XP box in front of me a the moment).

For WEP, I suggest you use the Hex key, and not the ASCII key. There are two different algorithms for converting ASCII to Hex and Windoze XP only supports one of them. Hex always works, but ASCII can sometimes screwup.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

emtech had asked:

Frazer Jolly Goodfellow replied:

And Jeff Liebermann replied:

Thanks to both of you for your quick replies. Works perfectly. I knew there had to be a configuration option somewhere; I just got lost looking for it. :)

Reply to
emtech

Sometimes screws up, I've never seen it work, you must have the luck of the Irish if it has ever worked for you.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.