Change wireless configuration

Hi I am currently running two PC's, one Win XP Pro the other XP Home, I have them set up for ICS over a Wireless system, set up in what I think is a pretty standard configuration.

The Internet cable is connected to the modem which is connected to the Wireless Router, the XP Pro PC is connected to the Router by a Network cable and the XP Home PC connects by a USB wireless Network Adapter.

Now I have to move and the cable outlet will not be in the room where I need the PC's to be kept.

Is it possible to set it up so the Cable goes to the Modem which then is connected to the Wireless Router and then connect both PC's via a USB wireless Network Adapter?

If so please give me some information on how to set it up.

thanks and regards

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel
Loading thread data ...

ICS is a MS term. It allows one computer to share its Internet connection with other computers in a LAN situation. That one machine will have two NIC(s) Network Interface Cards. One card facing the WAN/Internet. The other one facing the LAN. By having the second NIC do ICS with the first NIC, if a standalone switch or hub was connected to the second NIC, then all machines connected to the switch or hub will be able to access the Internet

The router is a gateway device for the LAN and WAN, and by using NAT, it allows one or more computers to access the WAN/Internet. It also provides connectivity with machines on the LAN, because it has built-in switch technology. By using NAT and possibly SPI, the router protects the machines on the LAN by separating two networks usually the Internet it's protecting from and the LAN it's protecting and provides a firewall like mechanism.

formatting link

As explained in the link below, one should a router instead of ICS on a getaway computer, along with other things explained in the links above. The router is faster and provides better protection for the network.

formatting link

You should find a way to keep the router as the perimeter device to protect from the Internet and be the gateway device for the LAN and WAN.

Most users flat-out don't know how to configure/harden to attack the Windows NT based O/S to face the Internet on the machine acting as getway device.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thanks Duane

I am confused, a lot, but I guess it's all in there. At the moment it is over my head, I will study it all and have a go using the links you have given me and repost when I get stuck.

thanks aga>> Hi

Reply to
Daniel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.