Change MAC address

Does anyone know of a way to change the MAC address of your computer? There is a website I use where if you search too much they block you from anymore searches for a 24 hour period. They don't block the IP, but rather the MAC, so if you are able to change the MAC address you will be able to use the site again. My friend is able to do it through his router (I guess his ISP doesn't register his MAC), but whenever I try to change mine I totally lose my connection. Anybody know of an easy way to do this? TIA

Reply to
ebeck88
Loading thread data ...

Sure, but it will depend on your OS. Did you google for "change computer's MAC address"?

I guess one answer is not to abuse their system. There's probably a reason why they restrict the number of searches.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

There are Windows utilities for changing the MAC but I found that you need to find one that is reliable. In Linux, it's easy to change the MAC address by editing certain files.

Reply to
johnny

As answered before by other people, it is possible change the MAC address of a NETWORK ADAPTER, but it depends on the operating system you are using.

But the fact is that MAC address information do not travel through routers. So it is not possible that a website recognizes you by a MAC address information.

MAC address belongs to data link layer, but routers belong to network layer, and any MAC address information about the computers in your LAN do not traverse your router limits.

Bye.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com escribió:

Reply to
Àngel Catal=E

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.