Cellphone & wireless router combo

I just staarted using a Motorola V600 cellphone that can function as a modem for my laptop connected via the USB port, but I also looked at the Audiovox PC 5220 wireless card. Is anyone aware of any upcoming product that would combine the functions of these two devices? In other words, a cellphone that would connect to a laptop via the Ethernet port and function as a wireless router to the Internet, with a fixed IP number so that one could run a web server on the laptop.

This would also be useful not just with a laptop, but with something like a camcorder with its own built-in webserver, such as the JVC GY-DV300U Streamcorder, for feeding a video stream from the field at broadband speeds.

It is a hassle to have to have two devices, a cellphone and an airlink card, with separate accounts, when one wants to combine the functions and have only a single, preferably flat-rate, account.

Please copy replies to snipped-for-privacy@constitution.org as I do not regularly monitor this newsgroup. And visit

formatting link
Thanks.

Reply to
jon.roland
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@constitution.org wrote in news:1111911389.075175.196930 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

GPRS data speeds are extremely slow - no more than 5 - 10kb/s.

Also, there are multiple classes and subclasses of GPRS data speeds. Typically GPRS cards like the Sierra Wireless cards run at Class 10 speeds (and the fastest Class 10 speed) while a regular cellphone like the V600 runs at a slower speed.

Also, certain phones have a new GSM extension called EDGE which is significantly faster than standard GPRS speed.

GPRS is hardly broadband speeds!

You'll have to dig around - check

formatting link
and ask around to see which cell phone has the fastest data speeds around. But realistically speaking, don't expect more than ~10 kb/s and a BIG phone bill : )

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.