Case Problem - WiMAX?: Wireless network for 15km suburban radius

What you are suggesting won't work. All the Mesh network approaches implemented require an outside antenna in houses/buildings.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Alston
Loading thread data ...

No outside antennas? You've got to be joking.

Reply to
Rôgêr

Greetings,

I have a case study perhaps you in the newsgroup could attack. I am working on wirelessley connecting a few households (15 families to begin with but the potential to handle hundreds more in the future) in a 15km (or 10 mile) suburban radius.

Currently I understand that WiMAX may be a viable solution, or mesh-networking, however WiMAX is not the super-solution I once thought it may be and mesh-networking will require more study.

The local council is willing to assist in this undertaking by allowing the placement of WiMAX basestations (if that is a viable solution), in crucial areas within the 15km radius.

The key point to this, is that we are looking for a solution where families will not have to do anything more (such as installing external antennas) than simply insert a wireless WiMAX PCI card, or USB stick into their computers to access the WiMAX network. If you can show me another method - feel free!

What we are after is a means of supporting hundreds of more families later down the track.

What will be required? Budget requirements? (i.e. does anyone know of current/approximate pricing on WiMAX basestations?).

All your thoughts are much appreciated :)

Reply to
ZionIFL

Point taken!

Is there some way of using existing television aerials to "collect" WiMAX waves, so to speak?

Reply to
ZionIFL

The only solution requires a suitably constructed external Ariel , properly installed ( many can self install unless utterly inept)

Reply to
atec

For starters- Wimax may well come to the party, but it's only just been given a green light. Hence allow ~2 years before it's cost effective compared with WiFi. In the meantime suggest you focus on normal WiFi, since "b" gear is cheap (even now free after rebates) as faster "g" versions take over AND drivers are abundant. To get the 15km radius however you'd need APs setup as repeaters as well - exact number depend on terrain etc. Powering & locating these could be a hassle -solar PV ? Here in Wellington, New Zealand we get great WiFi (& IPWireless) signals over 10km LOS away across the harbour, but inner city you're lucky to get round a block...

Wireless coverage at typical microwave freqs. (2-5GHz) is very line of sight (LOS) & heavily influenced by terrain, buildings & their material. Where are you ? In built up areas a decent antenna is nearly essential unless you're within a stones throw of the transmitter. This antenna doesn't have to be gold plated,OR outdoors, since even the celebrated cookware parabola versions can greatly boost weak signals, with LOS ranges of several km. For bare bones setups,I'd STRONGLY recommend you go the USB way for dirt cheap lossless leads, no brainer connectors & versatile ease of installation.

There've been numerous community networks setup around such established WiFi gear of course. Just take an AP (

formatting link
These are great for a few LOS km. Stan. in NZ

Reply to
manuka

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.