Capture ESSID and BSSID in Windows

I want to programmatically capture the ESSID and BSSID of the Access Point I am using. Doing this in Linux is a trivial task, but I can't seem to find a good source for MS Windows. Can someone point me in the right direction (source code, etc)? If such a thing exists, a command line tool would suffice assuming I have source to work with.

Austin

Reply to
AustinMillbarge
Loading thread data ...

The problem you're going to run into with Windoze is the inability to place the client radio into the promiscuous or monitor mode. Normally, the card will only respond to packets with a destination MAC of its own MAC address and will not detect other MAC addresses. In monitor mode, it can sniff ALL the traffic. Of course, all the Linux drivers can do monitor mode.

The current trend is for Windoze driver scribblers to disable promiscuous mode. Older drivers may have a functional promiscuous mode, while newer drivers do not. For example, read the comments in the right hand column:

formatting link
the assortement of wireless cards that do NOT work with AirSnare/WinPcap.
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.