Cantenna Polarity Question

Hi, I'm building a cantenna to extend the range of my Linksys WMP11 wifi card. I have determined that the WMP11 takes a RP-SMA connection, and I just ordered a "LMR-195 Rev Polarity R/A SMA Male - N Male" pigtail today. I know I'll need an N Female chasis mount connector to recieve the N Male end of the pigtail for my cantenna, but I'm wondering if the N Female connector needs to be reverse polarity as well, or can it be just a regular old N Female connector? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
whitton
Loading thread data ...

I appreciate the replies; however, I read the document and my question still stands. I understand the procedure to build a cantenna, but I just need to know if the N Female connector needs to be RP. I have a suspicion that it doesn't. Maybe I'll try a regular connector first and if it doesn't work go to RP. Thanks.

Reply to
whitton

I find David Taylor's site to be well done.

formatting link
Uh-oh. It doesn't seem to be available today.
formatting link
the source of the design, and has some very clear pictures.

Reply to
dold

Does now, maybe the host was rebooting their server, no can't be, it's Linux now not NT, the salesman said it would *NEVER* need rebooting! :)

Reply to
David Taylor

Maybe if you understood the purpose of the reverse polarity connectors, it might help.

The FCC had this bright idea of preventing people like yourself from modifying unlicensed wireless hardware by requireing the manufacturers to use uncommon and proprietary RF connectors on the radios. The weird connectors were certainly uncommon 10 years ago, but have become commonly available from numerous vendors. There was an attempt to require even more proprietary connectors, but that proposal was dropped by the FCC as being too expensive to impliment.

The result is that only the connector attached to the radio is reverse polarized or weird. All the other connectors are conventional, normal, non-weird, and commonly available. Same with test equipment, dummy loads, patch cables, and adapters. The common pigtails and adapters sold by various vendors are always reverse polarized on one end and normal polarity on the other end.

When you build your can antenna, the panel or bulkhead mount "N" connector on the antenna will be a normal polarity. So will the "N" connector end of the pigtail. However, the other end will probably be some reverse polarized connector to fit your WMP11 radio.

A cheezy way to avoid the hassle is to use a RP-SMA to N adapter at the WMP11. See:

formatting link
makes all the connectors normal "N" connectors. One problem is that the SMA adapter is very easy to break. If this is going into a fixed location (i.e. rooftop), the adapter will work well. If it's going to move around, such attached to a laptop, use a pigtail instead. Another problem is that you still have to pay for the N connectors on the cable ends so the adapter is just an added expense.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Exactly the response I was looking for. Thank you very much!

Reply to
whitton

Clue: The sex of the connector is NOT determined by the center pin.

Most connector vendors have givenup on the male and female designation, which is often ambiguous. The current fashion is plug, jack, and receptacle.

How about a reverse *THREAD* SMA connector? |

formatting link

Ditto. Reverse polarity "N" connectors: |

formatting link
thread "N" conectors: |
formatting link
Your nightmares may vary.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

No problem. I just wanted to muddy the waters a bit.

I dunno. Reverse threaded connectors are not very common. Actually, I've never actually seen one on any type of equipment. In some cases, it might be a good idea where reversing two connections might blow something up.

Ummm.... entertainment value? Add to the confusion? De-standardization? Product differentiation? Proprietarization?

Connector standards are a good thing. Every company should have one.

I'm always glad to be a part of someones nightmare.

Gone to fix a wine bottling machine. No RF required.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I thought the pictures on the turnpoint page would help. I meant to add the comment that I ordered my pigtail and matching N connector at the same time.

Jeff pointed out that the "reverse" stuff is nonsense promulgated by the FCC that is now largely abandoned, with lots of vendors using the same connectors. Hawking antennas come with RP-SMA on the end of the cable, and an RP-SMA to TNC adapter, covering a lot of the popular devices with two connectors that theoretically were only available from the original manufacturer for a particular device.

One remaining point is "male" verses "female", where the definition definitely is in conflict from one connector-vendor website to another.

Fortunately, it doesn't matter much. The RP-SMA connector that you order, whether called "male" or "female", only seems to come in one gender, whichever that is.

On the "N" side, the terms are standardized, as are the connector applications. N Female is usually at the devices, N Male on both ends of the cable for normal use. There are no reversed N connectors, just standard male and female. For your cantenna application, you got an adapter cable long enough to go from your special connector to the N-Male on the cantenna.

When I ordered mine, I only got 19", which is okay for hand held locating, but isn't long enough for comfortable use. I still use that for locating rogue WAPs at work, but nothing else.

Eventually, I went to a mini-USB dongle where cable length doesn't add RF loss.

New Zealand uses mini-USBs in various parabolic reflectors.

formatting link
Bob Alston's coffee can
formatting link
Dold's coffee can
formatting link
used the turnpoint calculator to decide where to poke the hole.
formatting link
Taylor's standard USB cantenna
formatting link

Reply to
dold

sez you! All I pointed out is that there are differing labels on the parts on different vendor web sites.

formatting link
Okay, I give. What is the definition of that one?

That's sick. Why do those exist?

Nope. I have a consistent nightmare.

Reply to
dold

It's a lesson that has to be learned over and over again in each industry. To prevent accidentally misconnecting air hoses and hydraulic hoses in vehicles, aircraft, and welding rigs, the threads are different. The logic is good and it has undoubtably prevented many accidents. However, it has not stopped a clever mechanic, who's solution to a "bad fit" problem is to get a bigger wrench. I've lost count of how many times I've tried to brute force a "mini-UHF" connector into an "F-connector". They look very similar but have different center pin diameters and threads.

Given the availabliliy of different SMA connector mutations, I would certainly have used them to prevent accidentally reversing the input and output in one of my ancient power amplifier designs. Personally, I would prefer "keyed" connectors, but they tend to be expensive to build, especially in small sizes.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hey I have a great idea, how about they use left hand threaded connectors too, and what about some imperimetric pitch for a change too.

:)

Reply to
David Taylor

That would be in the spiriti of the original regs, wouldn't it?

And the smiley refers not to the possibility of the connectors that you refer to here, but the original strangeness of the regs. ;-)

CB radios all had "standard" antenna connectors. I wonder what was so frightful about 802.11 that caused the "proprietary" rules? Both of these turned out to be wildly more popular than was first envisioned, I think.

Reply to
dold

Not so good on truck brake air hoses. The emergency line and the service line are the same, just different colors, which doesn't help much on a twenty year old trailer, especially when the red manufacturers label on one fitting is brighter than the red color coding on the other fitting.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.