Cantenna Mobile Internet

Ok I don't know if this is strictly in the right place but maybe someone can help. I have recently signed up for Vodafone's Mobie internet. A dongle that runs from my sb port.

I get varying degrees of reception. Sometimes 2g and poor and sometimes

3g good.

Does the mobile internet run over same wavelenghts as mobile phones. Can i build a form of cantenna to increase its reception

Any help greatly appreciated

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
surfsup
Loading thread data ...

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 16:46:23 -0500, surfsup wrote in :

USB port? Which dongle?

Not surprising.

No.

I suggest trying a simple reflector to see how much it would help.

formatting link

Reply to
John Navas

It's not, but that's ok.

This one?

or perhaps this one?

If so, it's a cellular data service.

It's a USB port.

3G is HSDPA which has less range than 2G which I'll guess(tm) is EDGE.

No. Wi-Fi (802.11) is at 2.4GHz. I'll guess that cellular in Portugal is at 800Mhz and 1800MHz.

Sure. At 800MHz, the can will be about 8 inches in diameter and perhaps a foot long. Something like a small metal trash can. I can just imagine what that would look like on your vehicle rooftop.

Ask in the Vodaphone newsgroups. Specify your hardware and country.

The USB dongle does not have an external antenna, so anything you add will wreck the warranty.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:56:03 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Range of HSDPA (UMTS) is as good as EGPRS(EDGE), if not better.

2100 MHz for 3G. Otherwise 900/1800 MHz.
formatting link
2100 MHz won't be that different from 2400 MHz
Reply to
John Navas

thats great. Do you have any idea at which freq they run or how i might find out

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
surfsup

oh andthis dongle - 'Vodafone Mobile Phone Shop'

formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
surfsup

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 12:55:56 -0500, surfsup wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.