Cantenna, Dish, Large Antenna or "Other"

Hey all,

I'm trying to get wireless access between these two locations:

formatting link
Ideally I'll be bringing my laptop to Point A, sit next to a window and direct towards Point B. Do you think it is even going to be possible to get that far? Point B is a standard Linksys wireless router, without anything connected to my laptop I can't get past a few hundred feet of Point B. This is half a mile...

Any thoughts?

Reply to
thetrashlord
Loading thread data ...

That's about 2500 ft with what appears to be marginal line of sight.

Do you have Line of Sight?

If yes, you may still have another problem. Fresnel zone diffraction will cause problems even if you have line of sight. At 2500ft, 80% clearance requires 13 ft clearance at midpoint. That also means the locations of the antennas at both ends of this link will need to be at least 13ft off the ground at the path midpoint. Do you have Fresnel zone clearance?

I have no idea. I see no model numbers on your equipment, no clue what at the other end of the link (free wi-fi coffee shop, library, skool, clueless user with open access point, etc). I can't tell if you have line of sight or what it will take to get line of sight. I can't tell if you have Fresnel Zone clearance. No clue what antennas are in use at either end.

Linksys makes many different routers, none of which are called "standard".

Perhaps it would useful to get permission from the owner(s) of Point B before proceeding?

Offhand, I don't think it's going to work. My guess is that you have zero control over the positioning or antenna configuration of Point B. I'll also guess the Linksys "standard" router is using the stock rubber ducky antennas. That means you're going to need quite a bit of antenna gain to obtain a reliable connection, even if you have perfect line of sight. My guess (too lazy to calculate) is about 20dB of additional antenna gain at your end. That means a big 24dBi dish, which is about 3ft in diameter and truely ugly. However, if you lack line of sight, don't bother as no antenna configuration is going to "drill" the RF through a building or hill.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yeah I know linksys doesn't make a "standard" wireless router and I get it that I didn't post any model numbers of any of the software. Your suggestions about contacting the place are noted.

The point of the post was to simply show a topographic map and to say "Do you think" it is possible. I gather from your response that it is not possible/not feasible and that's all I really needed to know. Thanks!

Reply to
357gfx
[skip the first sarcastic half]

Yes I don't have model numbers, yes I understand linksys doesn't make a "Standard" model. I know this could turn into an argument about "necessary information" but overall I was just posing a very simple hypothetical question.

THAT's what I was looking for

That's what I figured. I don't think I'll spend any money investigating this further.

Thank you for your input.

Reply to
thetrashlord

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.