Cannot see router

I have a D-Link 524 wireless router, a PC connected directly to the router, and a laptop with a wireless card. The laptop can see the router and access the Internet just fine. The PC, however, cannot see the router. I cannot open the router's setup page at http://192.168.0.1. I cannot ping the router. The router fails to assign an IP address for this PC.

I have switched cables and tried each of the ports on the back of the router. I have hooked up another PC directly to the router with the same result - cannot see the router.

This router worked properly in a previous installation - two pc's with direct connections and two wireless. The only difference is that the previous pc's were running XP and my PC's are running win2000pro.

Any suggetions would be appreciated.

hriraf

Reply to
hrifraf
Loading thread data ...

How are your PCs configured TCP-IP wise? Have they ever been on a network? Show us what: c:\\>ipconfig /all

for each of the PCs including laptop.

Can the laptop see the PCs when they are attached to the router?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

The PC's used to be on a peer to peer network using win2k. They are set up to obtain ip addresses automatically. The laptop cannot see the pc(s) attached to the router.

Here is the ipconfig for the laptop;

----------------------------------------------------------- Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : FishSauce Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Motorola Wireless Notebook Adapter W N825G Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-E5-52-B3-8D DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, May 02, 2006

5:06:53 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, May 09, 2006 5:06:53 PM

And here is the ipconfig for the pc;

----------------------------------------------------------- Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Lemongrass Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100 Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-BA-57-0A-35 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.89.123 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

END

hrifraf

Reply to
hrifraf

That 169.254 IP means that the O/S cannot get an IP from the DHCP server on the router and has timed out trying to do so. Therefore, it's not using an IP from the router and it cannot access the router via a browser using the router's device IP nor can it access the Internet, since is not using an IP on the router.

You can try Ipconfig /release and Ipconfig /renew to see if it can obtain and IP from the router.

If it doesn't work, then you may have to reset the TCP/IP stack on the computer. You can use Google to see how to do that for Win 2K.

The laptop looks to be OK if it can access the Internet or access the router at its device IP of 192,168.0.1 via a browser.

But the PC cannot access the router or the Internet, because of 169.254 IP. However, other machines on the LAN should be able to access a computer that has the 169.254 IP if the machine is doing resource sharing.

I got to hit the road for a 6 hour trip in the AM. So, someone here can help you from here.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I just tried a couple of things. I have two pc's and a laptop floating around and I wired them all together using an old hub that I had lying around. The computers were able to see each other with no problem and I had a dandy little network running in no time.

Then I plugged all the computers into the router and obtained the same result (I pulled the wireless card out of the laptop for this experiment.) So now I had a network but none of the computers had Internet access. None of them was able to raise the router's setup page at http://192.168.0.1. I plugged the wireless card back into the laptop, and rebooted all three computers. Only the wireless card obtained an IP address from the router. I can access the internet with the laptop via the wireless card, and also the routers' setup page. None of the other pc's obtained their ip from the router and they cannot see the internet.

My conclusion so far is that the network cards on all pc's are functioning properly. But perhaps there is something wrong with the router as it is failing to assign ip addresses to any computer with a direct connection.

Any comments would be appreciated.

hrifraf

Reply to
hrifraf

One more step; I added a wireless card to one of the pc's. The router happily issued an ip address to the new wireless card. So, to answer Ben's question; The router is certainly capable of issuing more than one ip address. Only thing is that it is only issuing the ip addresses to wireless cards, and not to computers directly connected.

Oh, and here's another thing - probably not related to my initial problem. The router has issued ip addresses to all sorts of computers! There are five dynamic ip addresses listed, only one of which is a computer of mine. Perhaps I should be swithcing to static DHCP addresses?

hrifraf

Reply to
hrifraf
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Make sure the router has the latest firmware. Restore/reset the router to factory default settings. Turn off all security, including MAC filtering.

Reply to
John Navas

Solution found.

Browsing through my D-Link installation guide I discovered a phone number for tech support. What a concept!

I called them up and after a bit of poking around we did the following: (On the pc with the problems) we specified an IP address (instead of obtaining the address automatically), and we specified a DNS server address (4.2.2.2 - not a number that I would have guessed). Then we re-set the router (using that handy tool - a paper clip). And now everything works.

Thanks to all who provided suggestions.

hrifraf

Reply to
hrifraf

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.