Cannot Obtain An IP Address

The city of Hollywood, Florida provides a Wifi. I was on it for a few days without any problem and then I could not connect. XP SP2 with a Hawking g card. The signal is strong and the software shows I am connected but I never get an IP address. There are a few other unsecured networks in the area and I can connect to them without any problems. I called the provider and they said all was well with their network. I asked the tech if I might have been banned for some reason and he said it was done at account level and not the MAC address. Anyone have any idea of what I might try?

Reply to
Dean S. Lautermilch
Loading thread data ...

What? Is that the best the tech could do? If you can connect to other wireless networks in your area and obtain an IP and access the Internet, the problem doesn't seem to be on your end. On the other hand, it could be the wireless gods messing with you for connecting to another user's network.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Hollywood Wifi is a free service that requires an account. A person gets 45 minutes on the network and then has to sign in again via a web page that comes up first when you logged out. I thought I might have been denied access because of usage. Since I cannot get an IP address I never make it to that point.

I did try a laptop that has the same problem last night. So that shows it is their network and I will call them Monday.

Reply to
Dean S. Lautermilch

Sounds like a problem with Hollywood's system. The usual screwup is running out of IP addresses in the DHCP address pool.

Try downloading and installing a DHCP query tool and see if anything responds.

formatting link
don't even need an IP address to make this work as it uses broadcasts.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

This statement is a bit confusing. You stated that after asking the Tech person if you might have been banned for some reason, he replied by saying that "it was done at account level..." This can be interpreted as ... yes, you were banned at the account level....If I misread your post, I apologize.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

The problem might indeed be on Hollywood's end. Don't get me wrong, I'm not disputing that. I just wanted clarification on your initial post. Just out of curiosity, does the City of Hollywood explain it rationale for having wireless users create an account and the rationale behind the 45 minute usage limit?

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.