Cannot get IP address from PPPoE Server

Hi All,

I am completely lost for ideas at the moment, so hoping someone here can help me with my problem. We have been using a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54G) for our home wireless network setup for about a week now. It was working fine, with all computers able to access the internet. A couple of days ago, the internet just stopped. We managed to get the internet working fine when plugged in directly to the main computer, but as soon as it went through the router, it didn't work.

I have established that the network itself works, but the router is not receiving an internet connection (e.g. all computers can share the printer, but none (even the computer that is connected physically to the modem) can access the internet).

I have logged into the router console (192.168.1.1), and when I try to connect to the internet, I get the message that it cannot get the IP address from the PPPoE server. It also has an IP address of 0.0.0.0, so this is obviously the problem. I have looked everywhere for help, and have tried everything. I have unplugged the router, modem, and PC, turned it all off, and back on again, and nothing.

I have read a lot of different advice and tried to follow the Linksys guide as well, all to no avail. If anybody could help me, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance,

Ilan

Reply to
ilan
Loading thread data ...

It sounds like it isn't dialing the adsl this might help a little have you paid the dsl bill ?

formatting link

Reply to
atec 77

Yes, we have paid the bill.

If I disconnect the router and plug the modem directly into the computer, internet works.

I have also looked into the Linksys guide, and it explains that this message is due to the fact that the router is not being assigned an IP address. The problem is that all of their solutions do not work for me, so I am looking here for alternatives...

Reply to
ilan

Then you need to check that the router is pointed to the modem fix that and you will have connection

Reply to
atec 77

Hi Atec,

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean that I need to check that the router is pointed to the modem?

The modem is definately plugged in to the router, so I am quite confident that it is not a hardware problem...

Could you please explain how I would do this?

Thanks,

Ilan

Reply to
ilan

Can you ping the modem ? where have you pointed things for dhcp server ?

Reply to
atec 77

On 23 Mar 2007 22:44:40 -0700, "ilan" wrote in :

1. Make sure you have the correct userid and password.
  2. Make sure the router has the latest firmware.
  3. Hard reset the router to factory default settings, and start over.
  4. Try a different router.
Reply to
John Navas

You might want to post a) the make, model and firmware revision of your router b) the type of your internet connection, and the ISP

You might also want to try swapping cables around. If it just stopped working without warning, could be a dead cable.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.