Cannot Find Server or DNS error (Tried everything)

I'll give this one more try.

I have excellent signal. Running a WRT54G with XP. Notebook reads excellent signal but wont load any pages. Page reads 'Cannot Find Server or DNS error'. I can ping the router and my desktop successfully. I am also able to access my router control panel from my notebook, but cannot access any other pages. I have tried numerous changes with no success.TCP/IP settings, to WEP or not to WEP? I have tried them all. I have disabled the firewall and unchecked the Proxy. My desktop, which is connected to the same router works perfectly. The only setting that I noticed is different between the notebook and the desktop is the gateway. I don't know much about that setting. Any suggestions for this out-of-ideas wannabe wireless user?

Thanks!

Reply to
ripdoozer
Loading thread data ...

Gateway setting what are you talking about?

What are the IP(s) that the wire machine is using as opposed to the wireless one that cannot access the Internet when you enter IPconfig /all at the DOS Command Prompt?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Wired computer ends with 100 Notebook ends with 101.

I plugged the notebook directly into the wall and it still wouldn't load any pages.

Duane Arnold wrote:

Reply to
ripdoozer

"Ends with"?? That's not the question. What are the numbers?

There's IP number. And then Gateway number. And then DNS numbers. Don't use shorthand, just reveal what they are. Your router may get automatic numbers from the ISP, and then your computers get automatic numbers from the router. But nobody can read your mind or divine the info from the hardware.

Reply to
Rôgêr

Update FYI.

I discovered the problem. My laptop had a policy in plce that told it to look to a DNS server that was specific to my school network. I went into the registry and deleted that DNS address and voila! up and running thatnk to all who attemped to help me out.

Reply to
ripdoozer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.