Can you help me interpret GPS EXIF data embedded in digital photos?

Can you help me interpret GPS EXIF data embedded in digital photos?

I would have expected iPhone or Android phones to save both longitude and latitude information - but the EXIF data doesn't seem to be that.

For example, the Golden Gate Bridge is at the GPS coordinates: a) Decimal Minutes (GPS) : N37 49.19819 W122 28.71539 b) Decimal (WGS84) : 37.81997, -122.47859 c) Degrees Minutes Seconds : N 37° 49' 11.8914", W 122° 28' 42.9234"

But, none of these seem to align with the coordinates in the EXIF data: GPSLongitudeRef = E GPSLongitude = 51.00, 27.76, 0.00 GPSAltitudeRef = Sea Level GPSAltituide = 24.00 GPSTimeStamp = 12:31:03:97 GPSImgDirectionRef = T GPSImgDirection = 69.05

Reply to
Simone D.
Loading thread data ...

Both my iPad3, Sony HX200V camera, and Huawei Ascend G300 phone save the EXIF GPS data exactly as I would expect. How are you viewing the EXIF data. I use GeoSetter, or PIE Studio, or the EXIF Viewer add-on for Firefox. Can you put that image online so that we can check that EXIF data with different programs?

One caveat is that immediately after switching on the GPS will not have acquired a signal lock, and there should be /no/ GPS data recorded. After some time, there will be less accurate data, and then within a few metres. One other possibility is that the device is using Wi-Fi location data instead of GPS data, and that location data is wrong.

Perhaps the device is remembering its last-used location?

Reply to
David Taylor

I'm using Linux "Eye of GNOME" version 2.30.0, File->Properties.

The funny thing is there is no Latitude either. Is this normal from an iPhone photo?

Reply to
Simone D.

I'm using Eye of Gnome on Linux.

I guess that's why the latitude doesn't show up in the iPhone photo even though the longitude shows up but in a funny way?

Does anyone out there have GPS enabled on their iPhone to show what it looks like on Linux?

Reply to
Simone D.

I can't speak for Linux iPhone users, but I ask, is this an issue with all your GPS enabled iPhone photos, or just the GGB shot?

Then there is the issue of obtaining a solid satellite fix vs a cell tower triangulation, and a satellite+cell tower fix. Also to be considered would be cell towers covering the GGB area, their ability to triangulate, and the 3G/4G reception around the bridge. The thing to remember is the iPhone is not a dedicated GPS unit, and it is quite possible that there was interference created by the bridge structure corrupting both satellite & cell tower fixes.

Reply to
Savageduck

Try exiv2, exif or exiftool

Reply to
ray

I will check.

If someone else has an iPhone, can they just report what they see on Linux default Eye of Gnome for the GPS settings?

For example, where is latitude?

Reply to
Simone D.

The EXIF data in an iPhone (see my prior post) has the information in=20 two areas of the output (from exiftool). You may have missed the actual =

data.

As I said in my other post submit your photo to this site:

formatting link
and see how it analyzes it. it will also geolocate the image for you. (I have no affiliation with that site).

--=20 "There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties were divided =E2=80=93 politics became a mere struggle for office." -Sir John A. Macdonald

Reply to
Alan Browne

If you post photos to Picasaweb, there is a "full details" option to the right that will show GPS details, as a check as to whether this is an issue with your photos or the Linux App.

I just looked at a photo on Picassa, then downloaded to Ubuntu, where the default image viewer shows no GPS details. Looking at the original from the Android photo with the default image viewer shows the GPS details, and using the default command line identify -verbose picture.jpg |grep GPS exif:GPSDateStamp: 2012:10:06 exif:GPSInfo: 1434 exif:GPSLatitude: 38/1, 45/1, 21/1 exif:GPSLatitudeRef: N exif:GPSLongitude: 122/1, 36/1, 47/1 exif:GPSLongitudeRef: W exif:GPSProcessingMethod: ASCII exif:GPSTimeStamp: 8/1, 24/1, 53/1

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.