can wireless bridge slow internet speed?

I've tried various configurations to boost wireless signal strength to dead spots in my home network. Most involve using my Linksys WAP54G in either Bridge Mode to a Linksys Extender or in AP Client Mode to another Linksys WAP54G. In both cases the configuration seemed to work OK, but my internet connection speed seems to get slower and slower and slower (I've got rocket fast Comcast cable) after I hook this up. Not only does my internet connection SEEM slower, using online speed tests it tests out much slower, and gets slower still over time. If I disconnect the excess equipment and put the access point back in AP mode, the speed quickly returns to normal range.

Is this to be expected? Can anything be done to prevent this? I don't find anything in the documentation about this, nor any discussion in a quick search online. FWIW, I also have Vonage connected to a port on the switch to my wired network. The Linksys AP is connected to another port on that switch. This is always the case, with or without all that other stuff so it's hard to see that as the key variable, but I thought I'd mention it. Thanks for any enlightenment. WC

Reply to
WCH
Loading thread data ...

I wish I could be more help, but I'm not sure what your issue is. I was just going to say that I have the same wireless router as you and have SunRocket(rather than Vonage) hooked up to my home network, and I haven't had any issues with internet spped. I'm wondering if it might be a problem with the router itself. Anyways, good luck.

Reply to
ukcats4218016

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.