Can't work IE with wireless

After a lot of problems I'm connected via wireless to my pc. I'm using talktalk as the isp and a belkin modem/router. I know that I'm connected as i've got the icon in the bottom right hand corner and also I can send/receive emails via outlook. However, I cant use Internet Explorer. I've made sure that on IE connections it says do not dial. I just get the standard screen message error.

Any ideas what I should do? Would appreciate any help.

Many thanks Peter

Reply to
peter
Loading thread data ...

In Internet Explorer Tools->Internet Options->Connections click on the LAN Settings button and untick 'Proxy server'.

Reply to
M

I've tried this, but no luck (it wasn't checked in the first place). I've tried with LAN on detect automatically checked and unchecked - still no luck.

Any more ideas? How can I be 100% that I am connected via wireless (maybe this is a stupid question)

Peter

M wrote:

Reply to
peter

Reply to
peter

I may have found my problem. I have a belkin modem/router. My laptop doesn't have an inbuilt network adaptor so I borrowed one that plugs into the USB plug. It's a Netgear product. Can I use a netgear usb adaptor to connect to a belkin modem/router?

Peter

M wrote:

Reply to
peter

The different brands should not be an issue. I have a 3Com router and a desktop PC with a Dabs Value wireless PCI card and this works fine.

Reply to
M

Yes, they're interchangeable - thats the point of the 802.11 standardization.

So your problem lies elsewhere, probably the encryption settings.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.