can't setup lan communication on wgr614v6

Hi I am new to broadband and wireless. I have just set up broadband ok but am unable to set up my new wgr614v6. Wizard stops at point where it tries to access the router on the LAN cable, browser says can't access the router, page not found. This is where it stops. Same thing happens trying to access the router manually. The only way to get the basic setup page to come up is to reset the router. Whenever another router page is requested the browser can't find it. Again, the only way to access page is to reset the router. I am not sure if the problem is a simple setup or the router is faulty. Help please!

Reply to
warwick
Loading thread data ...

Well what IP does the machine have when you enter IPconfig /all at the DOS Command prompt.

Again, what IP does the machine have when you're having the problem?

And have you tried flashing the router with the latest version of the firmware, that will sometimes fix problems with the router that just came out of the packaging box?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

thanks duane, i followed your directions and found the IP address as 192.168.1.100 Not sure if this is good or bad or what to do next. I will look into how to upgrade the firmware. Will keep you posted. Thanks for helping. warwick

Reply to
warwick

Warwick again. This is what happened next: Using the settings obtained from IPConfig/all, I plugged them into the router settings and hit "apply". Then an interesting thing happened. The computer woke up and found the router down in the task bar using the Intel Proset/Wireless. I selected the router and suddenly I had full wireless communication. I hopefully fired up a browser window but no internet. I put in the router URL and no router. I reset the router but this time I wasn't able to communicate with it at all. This is where I am now - unable to communicate with the router at all over the LAN but able to get my wireless card to talk to the router wirelessly. One step forward and two back perhaps. I have no idea how to regain communication with the router. I don't know if this is useful but in my Network Connections, I have 1394 Connection (connected) 1394 Net Adapter, Local Area Connection (connected) Broadcom 440x10/100, Wireless Network Connection (not connected) Intel Pro Wireless. In the "details" for the Local Area Connection I have the same IP as mentioned previously ie 192.168.1.100. I am running XP on a Dell Inspiron which is only about a month old.

Reply to
warwick

That means that computer is getting an IP from the router. It's a DHCP IP issued by the router. The machine has no problems in communicating with the router in getting an IP from it.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You have hard *reset* the router you say. If you have made any changes to the router, then those changes are gone, as they are set back to the factory defaults. For the wireless part of the router, they will not be sync-ed with the router. Yeah, you can have good signal strength, but the machine can nolonger access the router.

My advice to you is to get on the phone with Linksys Tech support and let them help you set things up. They should be able to do that. If they cannont get it working for you, then the router may be defective and you can return it and get another one or something else.

Lastly, if you're trying to do this setup and cheking of the router with a wireless connection, then you need to be doing it first with a wire connction to make sure things are working with the router in general before moving to wireless.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thanks Duane. I have discovered a local support number for Netgear so I will try and call them tommorrow. I have had absolutely no response from their email response centre. Anyway for the record I have learnt more things about this problem. (forget about wireless for a minute). It seems that if I only have the LAN connected and reset the router then I can get the computer to communicate with the router and get all the menus. But as soon as I connect the modem to the router I lose communication between the computer and the router on the LAN. I can only regain communication by unplugging the cable to the modem and resetting the router again. It is almost as if there is some communication that occurs as soon as the router and modem are connected that corrupts the router making it unable to communicate. Maybe my modem is incompatible with the router or something. Anyway, I will talk it through with them so I can determine if it is a faulty router, an incompatible router, or a set-up issue. Thanks for your help - wish me luck, I hope their support's good! thanks for taking the time to help. warwick

Reply to
warwick

For completeness I am putting the solution I discovered here in the hope that it may be useful to others. The problem turned out to be that I had an ADSL Modem/Router talking to a Wireless Router. Having two routers like this is a problem because they are both trying to assign IP addresses. The answer was to set the Modem up in "Bridging" mode so that the only router in the system is the wireless router. I ended up needing both the ISP technical support and the wireless router technical support involved to work it all out and it took a few hours on the phone but it is all working now. A big thankyou to Duane for helping me. Cheers, Warwick

Reply to
warwick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.