Can't send email

Depends who you use for an ISP.. the from in your headers doesn't say (From: "Chips" )

Some ISP's require smtp authentication (log on to mail server) to be able to send email thru them. See if you ISP has changed to requiring authentication to send email now.

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

Did you try adding the domain? When I try and send email from my PDA I to have just the (name), but now have to put in the whole name (like) (name)@domain.com

It was in outlook express.. It asks for the name in it, but whenever I access it any way other than a direct connect (WiFi, cell, sat, etc) but it really wanted the (name)@domain.. It's free to try, and Worth a shot...

Chips wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

Some ISPs (actually most these days) do not allow traffic on port 25 to pass out of their networks in an effort to reduce the amount of spam that originates from their network.

The solution is to see if the e-mail server you want to use also uses a port other than 25 for SMTP and it would be best if that port would use encryption (e.g. SMTP with SSL that may be on port 465; Gmail has this but many other e-mail providers do not). Ideally, you would not be using port

25 in the first place because traffic over port 25 is usually not encrypted and if you need some sort of logon, your name and password would also not be encrypted. This is especially bad if you are using an unencrypted wireless network.

-Yves

Reply to
Yves Konigshofer

Reply to
Peter Pan

Reply to
Peter Pan

Okay.. so the laptop works wireless else but not there, and the desktop also won't work there wired.... Just for debugging reasons, can you connect the desktop direct to the dsl/cable modem and skip the router.. (just for a test)... That will narrow it down to the desktop or the router... Or does the laptop also have a wired connection, that you can enable and use wired? (sounds silly, but if you can try it that way, you know absolutely for sure where the problem is ((ie in your router or the connection to the ISP)). Makes debugging easier when you can narrow the error down to one device....

Chips wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

Understandable.. I just looked at your posts properties, and it shows NNTP-Posting-Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:51:07 EST

I'm out west, only 8:03 pm here :)

Chips wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

I'm using a Belkin Pre-N hub & card in my laptop. Wired to desktop.

Recently I stopped being able to send email through the main email server I use. I can still receive email through it. I can not send it from home using the Belkin router from either the laptop nor the desktop. None of the settings were changed, it just quit being able to send.

Now if I take my laptop to work where somebody else has a wireless network that is wide open, I can hook up to that with my Belkin Pre-N card and send or receive email through the same email server, and with the same settings. Just can't send from home.

Any ideas as to why? I can't figure it out.

GC

Reply to
Chips

The email server for my ISP still works fine for me. It's SBC (I think they use Yahoo).

The email server that I can't send through is run by my website hoster. He says I don't need authentication, and didn't change anything. Also, I tried changing this setting back and forth, and there was no success there in solving this.

My web hoster says there have been a few other customers of his that mysteriously suddenly could not send email through his server. He never figured out why.

Nevertheless, on my laptop, without changing any settings, I can send through his email server from somebody else's wireless router, but not through mine.

GC

Reply to
Chips

A little more info,

It sits at "Finding Host" for awhile until giving up and reporting an error.

And I'm using Outlook Express with Win XP Pro on the desktop, and Outlook Express in Win 2K on the laptop.

GC

Reply to
Chips

Yes, I've tried with and without the domain in the "account name" field. It

*is* supposed to have it, and does on my laptop which will connect using somebody else's wireless router.

GC

Reply to
Chips

Yves,

SMTP is set for 25, and that's what he said to use. I emailed him to see if it should be changed.

My wireless is encrypted (128 bit WEP).

GC

Reply to
Chips

Forgot to mention:

The desktop is wired, the laptop is wireless. The desktop has the same results as the laptop, except that the desktop has not been taken elsewhere to be tried on somebody else's network.

GC

Reply to
Chips

Good idea, I can and I'll try that. But not tonight.

GC

Reply to
Chips

I sent this message to my web hoster. He added a different port for sending email. I configured that email account for the new port, and Woila!

Now it works fine. It seems this was the issue.

Thanks.

GC

Reply to
Chips

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.