Can't install WUSB54GS

Windows won't allow me to install the driver for my new wusb54gs network adapter. It says. "the driver has already been installed, ....you must uninstall the old"... Device manager won't let do uninstall what's there, saying it's required for boot up. Using device manager to update the driver gives an error "the name is already in use as a service name or a service display name".

Linksys tech support sucked, they kept having me do the same crap I was doing, then they said my registry is f-ed up.

Any suggestions? Thanks LT

Reply to
LT
Loading thread data ...

I'll assume Windoze XP Home SP2 and that you have administrator rights. In the future, kindly disclose what manner of hardware and software you're using.

1. Use system restore to roll back your mess to before you installed the WUSB54GS adapter.
  2. Use MSCONFIG or Startup Inspector for Windoze to disable anything that the driver tries to run on startup.
    formatting link
    try the update or uninstall again.
  3. Try Crap Cleaner:
    formatting link
    forcibly remove the driver and application.
  4. Try it in safe mode. That doesn't work if the Linksys driver uses the MS installer, but will work with other installers.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes to the assumptions, sorry...

Restore doesn't work. I actually allow a ton of disk space for resotre points, but it still won't restore to pre-driver points.

I'll try the other suggestions, thanks god the old "B" unit works.....

LT

Reply to
LT

Run Regedit, do a find for the name of the driver and make sure the one you've found is the one below:-

HKey_Local_Machine\\System\\Current Control Set\\Services\\

Then on the right hand side see what the number next to "Start" is. If it's a 0 or 1, that's why it's being flagged as essential to boot.

Try channging it to 4 which means disabled.

Once it's no longer required by boot, you should be able to then run the uninstall and do it cleanly.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Tried the registry edit as described. It was set to "3", changing to 4 made no difference.

Running the Linksys uninstall I get an error message "an installation support file could not be installed. The system cannot find the file specified."

Is their a repair for Linksys drivers?

LT

-----------------------

Reply to
LT

unplug the device , reboot to safe mode and try removal .

Reply to
atec

Time to go /run/regedit and do a little learning , you need to remove the device from the registry and then try installing again

Reply to
atec

No idea, then the install/uninstall needs further picking apart.

Can I just clarify though whether you're able to get beyond the initial problem now which was that the uninstall said that the device was needed to boot?

Can you go into regedit, select HKey Local Machine\\System and then on the file menu, do a File Export and then in the save as type, choose registry hive. Give the file a name, such as mysystem.dat

Zip the file up and email it to me and i'll have a look through if you wish.

If you want to also zip up the contents of the install CD, that could help too.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.