Can't find my bridge

I have a wireless bridge (a Motorola WR850G V3 running dd-wrt V23 SP1) that I can't seem to connect to. Its MAC address shows up on my router's (router is also a WR850G with the same dd-wrt firmware) wireless clients list, but I can't seem to ping it from the wireless side or through its LAN ports. I have tried several different IP addresses (the most likely ones for this model) but I get no response. I have also tried using arp on my router to tell me the IP address, but it only lists the othere wireless clients and not the bridge. Could the bridge not have an IP address? If it doesn't have an IP address, how can I connect to it? It also doesn't seem to reset to defaults when I hold the reset button down. Does anyone have any ideas as to find this bridge? Thanks, Bryant

Reply to
Bryant Smith
Loading thread data ...

Just a followup...

I ran nmap -sP (ping sweep) on the following subnets while connected to one of the LAN ports and did not get a response other than the machine I ran it from:

192.168.0.0-254 192.168.1.0-254 192.168.10.0-254 (Motorola default) 192.168.253.0-254 192.168.254.0-254 (Previous known setting)

Are there any tools out there that can sniff out network traffic so I can see it it is trying to communicate? I know it is doing some wireless activity as my router shows it in its wireless client list. I just can't talk to the bridge.

Reply to
Bryant Smith

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:50:20 -0700, Bryant Smith wrote in :

Ethereal.

Reply to
John Navas

Bryant Smith hath wroth:

Try: nmap -T5 -sP 192.168.1.0/24 or if you have an hour or so: nmap -T5 -sP 192.168.0.0/16 Without the -T5, it takes forever.

Don't bother trying to sniff the wireless. Sniff the wired traffic with Ethereal:

formatting link
However, try this first:

1. Power off the router.
  2. Take you best guess and start pinging the router. Ignore the error messages.
  3. Turn on the power.
  4. After the initial warm-up (about 10 seconds), you'll see a normal response to the pings. That will go for about another 30 seconds and then stop. If that's what happens, you'll need to "de-brick" the Motorola WR850G V3. I think (not sure) that the Linksys WRT54G proceedure is the same. Google or ask for details. It's not too horrible.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.