Can't connect to secured wifi at hotel...

Hello! Just to let you guys know up front, I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to wifi, so have patience with me. Thanks!

Before now, any wifi access I've dealt with is unsecured. No issues there.

BUT...I've been staying at a hotel that offers secured wifi access. The password they gave me is five characters long (3 letters, then 2 numbers). When I found their signal and attempted to connect, a dialog box popped up asking for a "network key". I entered the password but an error message pops up telling me that the password must be at least

8-63 (or 64) characters long and it won't let me beyond that point. I checked in with two employees of the hotel and they both say they haven't had any trouble with the password as is.

The Network Authentication for the hotel's wifi is "WPA2-PSK" and the data encryption is "AES".

Sometimes when I try to connect, there are eight characters already in the network key field (as well as the "confirm key" field, albeit grayed out). When I click connect, it just keeps saying "acquiring address" and never goes beyond that.

Soooo...if the network key and the password aren't the same thing, when/where am I supposed to enter the password?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply to
wmccain7
Loading thread data ...

Here is the solution Take your laptop to the front desk and say "Show Me"

Reply to
Curly Bill

Are you sure your wireless adapter is capable of WPA2? That's a newer technology, and would only be available in adapters manufactured in the last year or two. It sounds to me like your adapter is trying to do WEP encryption, which is different than WPA2.

If you're not sure what model you have, you should be able to google on the model number of the wireless card, and check its capabilities.

Reply to
Seth Goodman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.