Can't connect to internet - (new to Wireless network)

I bought a Linksys WRT54GS connected to my main PC and wireless adaptor WPC54GS. The notebook adaptor connects to the access point, there is a signal, but can NOT connect to the internet.....

Reply to
gopher70
Loading thread data ...

adaptor

Do you have a cable or dsl modem? How does your main PC access the internet

>
Reply to
Airhead

I have Comcast cable broadband. Motorola modem

Reply to
gopher70

does the desktop connect ok?

is this problem just wireless?

Reply to
<riggor>

The desktop connects just fine. Yes, modem was powered down - powered up.

The suck-ass Linksys notebook adaptor is the problem at this point. It won't connect to internet despite showing good signal to the access point.

Reply to
gopher70

I have successfully connected now. Called Linksys tech. support and a really smart Indian guy walked me through. I matched the WEP password on my router with the WEP logon, and then used Win XP to connect the wireless network. Linksys' documentation contradicted that. They said for XP users, not to enable Windows to connect the wireless network. ALL IS GOOOOOD!

Reply to
gopher70

My sympathies.

Reply to
Father Dale

Can you connect the laptop to the router using bulit in LAN?

Did you check you proxy settings?

Can you see the other PC? The Router?

I suspect you have a config issue between the router / access point and the laptop config.

Same SSID? WEP / WPA? Client software or Windows Zero Config Wireless software?

Specifics please......

Reply to
<riggor>

And you power-cycled the cable modem after you connected it to the router's WAN port?

Reply to
Neill Massello

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.