Can't access internet at public library Wi-Fi

Here's my problem. I'm trying to connect to the internet at a public library with my laptop through Wi-Fi using Windows XP, which is supposed to be a non-secure open network. I haven't been able to access through IE or Firefox for a couple of months, even though Windows is telling me that I am connected. The network is supposed to not be secure, which windows and NetStumbler both are telling me the same thing. I have been able to connect at this hotspot before but recently, it will not allow access for me, even though I show connected. The libraian told me that some people can connect and some can't. Is there something I have not set up right on my laptop, or is it their network settings that causes this? I'm able to connect at other open hotspots. One other thing, library is running on channel 11 and network next to library is running on channel 11 also. Could this be the problem?

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
mudturtle74
Loading thread data ...

Are you sure you're getting a good IP address? Verifying that is Step One, because there's no Step Two unless you are.

Librarianese for "What do I look like, a system administrator?"

Which mitigates against its being something on your end. My guess is that-provided you *are* getting a good IP address-they've inadvertently triggered something like MAC address filtering without realizing it. I've seen this at a local hotspot. If you have another wireless adapter-PC Card or USB-or if you know or can figure out (Google is your friend) how to modify the MAC address your rig sends to the network, try it and see if it makes a difference.

By the way, I'm assuming here that you're telling this like it is without leaving out any little details. In particular, I'm assuming that you haven't been "TOSed"-bounced from the network for violating the library's acceptable use policy. If you have, I would suggest in the strongest possible terms that you *not* attempt to circumvent this sanction by hacking your way back in. If you do and get caught, you could get yourself into deeper doo-doo than you can get yourself back out of. Leave your laptop behind and go have a chat with the library administrator. It's likely you'll find him or her more understanding and accommodating than you will the police.

Possibly. Sure you're connecting to the right SSID? I wouldn't think the other network is close enough to cause an interference problem; if it were, you'd think there'd have been enough complaints by now that one of the two would have changed channels.

Reply to
Jonathan L. Parker

mudturtle74 hath wroth:

I'll assume you're using Windoze Wireless Zero Config (WZC) and not some other connection manager provided by the wireless vendor or hot spot provider. Is this correct?

If WZC, what does the window for the library wireless SSID show under "View Available Wireless Networks"? Does it say "Unsecured Network" for the library?

Does your laptop work on other wireless networks?

Do you have an IP address delivered by DHCP from the library system? Run: start -> run -> ipconfig What's your IP address for the wireless connection? If it's

169.254.xxx.xxx, you didn't get an IP address.

Do you have Norton, MacAfee, or other third party internet security software installed? If so, you probably have to configure it to allow a connection to the library network.

OK, what changed? It might be a bit difficult to remember but I'll guess(tm) it was some kind of security software or VPN client install.

Well, I'll give you credit for trying. However, please be advised that many library employees literally hate computers, which they consider competition to their book business. Ask the library if they have some kind of automatic intrusion detection system. I've seen such systems add MAC addresses to the access point block list, and never remove them.

No way to tell from here. I don't even know what brand and model laptop, wireless card, or library wireless system.

Good. Check the IP addresses that these hot spots give you. My guess is most will be 192.168.xxx.xxx. If the library gives you

10.xxx.xxx.xxx, look at your 3rd party firewall settings.

No. They'll coexist quite nicely, although there might be some interference to users that can see both systems.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.