Can ping it all wirelessly, but cant connect via IE

I cant wait 2 hours for dell to figure this one out so I will submit to the brains of real computer people, not just paper A+ certs that Dell hires...

I have a Dell Latitude D510. Windows XP Pro.

It is one of about 10 of a laptop cart here in my office.

They connect to my network via a netgear wireless access point (802.11B/G).

9 of the 10 laptops connect to the network and internet fine, except one.

This one, when logged on locally, can ping addresses (i.e.

formatting link
formatting link
ect) and can ping thier IP addresses.

This one can also ping local servers and computers and surf the network looking at computers and files, etc...

It can do all of that, but cant get a page on the internet.

Now, this same computer, when plugged into a CAT5 connection, can do it all, including see websites via IE.

So, given that, I eliminate IE as the problem.

But, the fact that it pings everything when wireless makes me NOT think it is the wireless adapter...

any clues? Thanks in advance! Jazz Mann

Reply to
Jazz
Loading thread data ...

Are you using a proxy internally?

Reply to
NetSteady

detect proxy automatically. I have a sonicwall firewall and a cisco router for my T-1 line. like I said, 9 other laptops that are identical (in hardware and all cloned from the same image) are fine, but this one is messed up. the only thing I can attribute it to is this: About a month ago, it would turn on,a nd turn off 10 seconds later. Dell tech determined it was a bad wifi card. They sent a new card, i installed it and that problem was gone. Now this one has surfaced. I may not have tested to see if it worked when I installed the new one, so it may have been there the whole time.

Reply to
Jazz

Proxy server?

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

That's okay then.

As Sherlock Holmes said "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" so if you have eliminated all software possibilities, then it's time to suspect the hardware.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

If your proxy authentication was based on "MAC address" then when you changed your wireless card the MAC address would then have been altered and you would not be allowed access.

Reply to
Frank

"Jazz" hath wroth:

OK, DNS is working.

It's not the wireless adapter.

Normally, I would supply my standard nasty comments about not supplying the operating system or wireless hardware makers and models, but that's getting boring. In the future, kindly supply:

1. What you're trying to accomplish.
  2. What you have to work with.
  3. What you've done, what happened, and where are you stuck.

Since you can ping systems on the inside LAN and also the WAN, it's a fair bet that the wireless is working. Since you're apparently NOT using a Proxy server, I suggest you uncheck "detect settings automatically" which just delays IE6 getting started.

Since IE6 works with a CAT5 connection, but not with wireless makes me wonder if you there's something broken inside IE6. If you have Mozilla Firefox 1.5 available, I suggest you try it. If that works, you have an IE6 problem.

It's also possible that your unidentified router has some kind of MAC or IP address authentication set. It's possible that the wireless card and the ethernet card in this laptop authenticate differently, especially if there's a RADIUS or AD server involved. Check the login authentication records (and error log on the server) to see if they're rejecting the connection. I think (not sure) that the CAT5 connection gets a different DHCP assigned IP address as the wireless connection. If the router has some kind of IP filter running, that will block an IP address. Some servers also block users from logging in twice from two different locations. If there are two IP addresses involved, try logging out of the CAT5 connection before testing the wireless login. Also, check that the DHCP server hasn't run out of IP addresses.

Personal firewalls operate by IP address, so you may have a different rule set for the wireless and the CAT5 wired interfaces. If you're using a personal firewall, try disabling it for now.

It would also be interesting to try other programs that do NOT rely on IE6 libraries. Try to telnet or ftp somewhere on the internet. If these work with both wired and wireless, then IE6 is busted.

I have some other ideas, but I would like an equipment list before blundering onward.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I thought "I have a Dell Latitude D510. Windows XP Pro" would have informed you of my OS, but I guess not...

1. what I am trying to accomplish: Bake a cake, geez, you cant tell what I am trying to accomplish? GET INTERNET SITES IN IE!
  2. What I have to work with..."I have a Dell Latitude D510. Windows XP Pro"
  3. What Ive done... this is hilarious, read my post...

So, thanks for your suggestions... ill put them into play. If I need further info from ya, ill list all the hardware on my network... oh wait, I have a full time job administering to a large network, I dont have time to do that lol Jazz Mann

Reply to
Jazz

OK, so it's either some internet gateway/firewall setting like a MAC address being blocked from some ports, or a laptop firewall problem (are you running a firewall on your laptop?), a hardware problem, or gremlins.

Do you have the latest drivers loaded for this card? Who makes the card and what drivers are loaded?

Try swapping the WiFi card between two otherwise identical laptops and see what happens. If it follows the card, then it's either a hardware problem or a MAC address problem, if it follows the laptop then it's either the mini-PCI socket or some software configuration that changed since you cloned the machines.

Some drivers will allow you to change the MAC address on the card to see if it's a gateway problem...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

problem solved. you were right... one of our computer teachers got in the firewall to configure some of his computers to be denied access to the internet. He put in the ip address of this laptop by mistake I guess... all is fine now.

Reply to
Jazz

"Jazz" hath wroth:

Well, thanks for at least trying. I think you get the idea.

You got most of it down. I trimmed your post for my reply, got interrupted for dinner, and forgot to check your original for the details. What was missing was the model of Netgear router, how it connects to the internet, whether you have some means of MAC or IP filtering, whether there's an AD or RADIUS authentication server, what wireless card is in the Dell Latitude D510, whether you're using Wireless Zero Config, Proset, or other wireless client, and whether there's a Personal Firewall (i.e. ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security, etc) involved.

Large system. Hmmm... Third party VPN client installed such as SafeNet which has to be configured per interface?

Haven't you seen the advertisements in Network Architect magazine? Just buy one of the network management solutions and you can administer your network with a PDAphone while getting a sunburn on the beach. If you're too busy, you're doing something wrong. Anyway, some details on what's between the laptop and the internet would be helpful.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.