Can old wireless NICs connect to WPA?

A wireless question:

Can old wireless NICs with old drivers/softwares connect securely with WPA? I know WEP (128-bit) will work. I have this old Netgear wireless PCMCIA card (3 years old? 802.11a?) that was used in Windows 98 SE, and was wondering if I can use it with WPA encryption? WEP does work.

Is there a special rule how security protocols work for wireless setups? I have never seen any WPA enabled (does recognize WEP) with client hotspot/AP finders. Maybe it doesn't know WPA?

Thank you in advance. :)

Reply to
ANTant
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@zimage.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mminternet.net:

If the card can do WPA you would know it. If there is no driver for the card that will allow it to do WAP, then it cannot do WPA . It's as simple as that. You should check the card's Web site to see if there is a driver for the card that will allow to do WPA encryption -- I doubt it.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Some old cards can be upgraded to support WPA with TKIP. Don't know of any which will support WPA with AES.

Most manufacturers won't allocate the resources to provide upgraded drivers -- because without them, you will probably buy a new card.

Reply to
Jerry Park

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.